No Thunderbolt - any alternative?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Anna1512

No Thunderbolt - any alternative?

PostThu Jul 20, 2023 9:24 pm

Hello, I really need advice!
I want to buy a reference monitor, but I ran into a problem, I don’t have a Thunderbolt 3 output on my laptop, is there an alternative way to connect my laptop with a reference monitor?
laptop Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH
monitor BenQ PD2700U

Anna1512

Re: No Thunderbolt - any alternative?

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 3:50 pm

Good afternoon, my situation looks like this. The monitor I bought Benq PD2705 does not support connection to Thunder Bolt 3, and my laptop Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH does not either. I thought that UtraStudio Monitor 3G was enough for me to connect, but the studio also supports Thunder Bolt 3 connection.
What should I do in this situation what is the best way out and there is a way out of the device based on the USBC?
I use Davinci for color grading.

Uli Plank

Re: No Thunderbolt - any alternative?

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 2:04 am

While you got a pretty good monitor, you have unfortunately bought the wrong laptop. But then, it depends on your target audience if the lack of precise monitoring really matters. If they all watch on smartphones or the like, nobody cares about wrong colours or contrast.
If you work for broadcast, it matters. Sell the laptop, it's only good for HD anyway, and get a strong gaming laptop with Thunderbolt or any MacBook.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Post Production