Resolve Random errors

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Peter Warren

Resolve Random errors

PostSun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 am

Hi
Firstly let me say that I really like this program and it will be in my production process in the future.

I am trialling Resolve lite and will go to the full package when I sort out my issues (also I have the latest version 9.0.2 but havent had time to try it)

I am at 11th hour of completing a project for delivery to a broadcaster
this is my first go at including Resolve in my workflow and sorry to say it wont make this cut

I do acknowledge that the issues are probably my lack of knowledge

The round trip has tripped up with random missing/incomplete renders and shots out of sync when the final xml is opened in fcp
the workflow is FCP7- to a media managed xml -to Resolve-to delivery renders & exported xml - to FCP7

I think the problems are happening at render stage as all media is in place on the Resolve timeline during the grade
I have noticed that the assigned reel numbers that I applied back at my pre- edit stage in FCP have not shown up in Resolve but this surely would only be a problem if there were 2 clips with same name and same timecode
I have tried re rendering just the shots that are effected but this works sometimes and not others which is weird sometimes the new render will go even further out of sync so frustrating that time has forced me to forget resolve for this project.

If anybody has seen this before and or/can help improve my knowledge of this great tool it would be appreciated

Peter

Mathieu Marano

Re: Resolve Random errors

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 1:13 am

Do you have different framerates in the timeline?
Mathieu Marano
www.cineground.com

#1: MacPro 3,5GHz 8-core, 32GB RAM, 2x D700 6GB, Ultrastudio 4K
#2: P900, 2x 3.1GHz 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2 x GTX 1080Ti, Decklink 4K 12G
#3: P500, 2x 2.6GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 2x Quadro 5200, W10, Decklink HD Extreme 3

Ola Haldor Voll

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am

Speed adjustments can also cause some funky things. Especially non-linear speed adjustments.
Check the original timeline in FCP for such clips.

I usually don't get a lot of speed adjustments in the projects I work on. But I've had the errors you're talking about here. If I have understood correctly, one scenario is;

• The XML from FCP includes speed adjustment information that Resolve will interpret, thus adjust frame rate for that clip
  • When you grade and render out, it will render with the speed adjustment
  • XML from Resolve still includes this speed adjustment information
  • FCP sees this speed adjustment, and will apply this to the clip - which is already sped up or down - so FCP does not have enough media

I haven't done thorough testing with this, so don't take my answer as the definitive and correct guide.

I also believe I've had speed adjustments in Resolve being interpret as such, thus rendering the clip as a 1:1 time wise, so FCP handles the speed adjustment. But again, I haven't checked this since I don't get much of those.

Peter Warren

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Screen shot 2012-10-22 at 11.31.02 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-10-22 at 11.31.02 PM.png (196.23 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Hi thanks for your replies

I have doubled checked the effected shots and they do not have any speed adjustments
as you can see from the attached screen shot of a small part of the timeline that this is a big issue and I actually didnt notice how bad it was until I went back in to check if there was any speed adjustments

originally I thought it was just incomplete renders
now I see it is also a problem that complete shots have been replaced by other shots and this is very random throughout the timeline

the bottom track is my original fcp project the top track is the resolve export

as you can see from the thumbnails something has gone wrong big time
for the record the original un media managed clip MVI_4656.MOV is one long roll of an interview with no time code breaks
but resolve is dealing with these clips as media managed separate events with distinctly different timecode so it doesnt matter that they are from the same clip

I have also re rendered the whole timeline with 9.0.2 and the result is the exactly the same

Screen shot 2012-10-23 at 12.21.47 AM.png
Screen shot 2012-10-23 at 12.21.47 AM.png (179.22 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

the screen grab from resolve shows the correct clips in place on the timeline

hope somebody can shed some light on this

regards
Peter

Peter Warren

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 am

I might have found the answer to my problems
after scrolling through all the other posts on this forum I found this gem

You will run into issues if you are still on Snow Leopard. If you search this forum, you'll find a lot of reported issues on Resolve 9 can be fixed by upgrading to Lion or Mountain Lion!
Christine Peterson

Community Relations Manager
Blackmagic Design

IMHO updating a mac OS on a perfectly good editing machine is for windows (if you know what I mean)
when I build/order a new macbook pro I will revisit this software coz it has lots of promise :)

Mathieu Marano

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

It also helps to render with "unique file name". This saved me a couple of times.
Mathieu Marano
www.cineground.com

#1: MacPro 3,5GHz 8-core, 32GB RAM, 2x D700 6GB, Ultrastudio 4K
#2: P900, 2x 3.1GHz 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2 x GTX 1080Ti, Decklink 4K 12G
#3: P500, 2x 2.6GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 2x Quadro 5200, W10, Decklink HD Extreme 3

Return to Post Production