Something I ponder about

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Something I ponder about

PostFri Dec 29, 2023 11:34 pm

Think about the Microsoft XBox Series X and the Sony PS5. They are the big gaming dedicated consoles. In many aspects, their graphics and processing capabilities for games are as intense as editing and grading. They can deliver true color and up to 8K support, efficiency graphics rendering at high frame rates, etc. And of course they cost a fraction of a fully built gaming PC. So I ponder on this. How about Blackmagic Design come up with a dedicated editing and grading console that has the works DVR studio that out of the box, all you need is to hook up your own keyboard and mouse, use their panels, and monitor with TB4 ports for external SSD storage, video, and network connections? All this for around the price of an Xbox or PS5? Maybe even at $695 will be a killer product. I think this is a game changer. They can even reuse the Blackmagic EGPU style enclosure and it will still be cool looking.
I think Blackmagic, with all their expertise in producing affordable hardware and editing/grading software will find this as an advantageous option for the post production and independent studios, just like they did with their camera. I hope BMD engineers are reading this.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

Re: Something I ponder about

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 3:33 am

God, no.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ellory Yu

Re: Something I ponder about

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 3:20 am

Marc Wielage wrote:God, no.

Why not? What are the technical disadvantages? Isn’t that what BlackMagic did with cine cameras when it decided to make a cheap and portable camera with the OG BMPCC and open the gate to a new market and opportunity? Unless they here is a technical disadvantage which with BMD being the lead in coming up with practical and affordable camera and post products, and a brilliant team that has challenged themselves and the industry, I don’t see why they shouldn’t. It will still work with their product ecosystem. and an option to many who wants to do their own post work.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production