Monitor says "No Cable" when coupled via eGPU Pro

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

torkveen

Monitor says "No Cable" when coupled via eGPU Pro

PostSat Jan 06, 2024 6:15 pm

Hi!
Most of the time I actually have to use two computers (one Mac, one PC), and I've begun doing so by coupling them to THE SAME monitor (a wide Dell UltraSharp 49", the model is called U4919DW) in so-called PbP (Picture by Picture) mode. This means that the wide screen is split in two halves placed side-by-side each other. My Mac (a '20-model Intel-based MBP with four Thunderbolt ports) is always coupled to the monitor via USB-C interface, while the PC uses the HDMI interface. Furthermore, the good ol' Blackmagic eGPU Pro is coupled up in between the Mac and the monitor.

Now this is where the incomprehensible situation I'm currently in has surfaced: Before, when I used to utilize only one computer hooked up to the large display at any time, the Mac-to-eGPU-to-monitor setup worked flawlessly. But after I switched to utilizing the monitor in PbP mode things have changed and become unreliable. The problem is that *sometimes* the display works just fine like it used to do, but *sometimes* it doesn't. Then I rather just see a message stating "No USB Type C Cable". And by the way, both USB-C cables are actually high-grade [Belkin] Thunderbolt 3.0 cables.

I have had limited success with switching to hooking up via different ports on the Mac, and sometimes by rebooting the Mac. But mostly the screen only displays the discouraging message.

- Anybody got any ideas and/or explanation for this, please?

Return to Post Production