using Blackmagic Design Video Assist with Davinci Resolve

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Keith Sanborn

using Blackmagic Design Video Assist with Davinci Resolve

PostTue Jan 09, 2024 4:54 am

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has tried using the Video Assist with Davinci Resolve as an interface between a computer and a color correction monitor. I'm just wondering whether I could get it to do the same job as the Ultrastudio 4k mini interface? or do I need to spring for both since, the Ultrastudio takes its input from the computer via thunderbolt and the Video Assist generally uses HDMI for input, although it does have a USB3port which can be used both for storage and for upgrading the firmware.

Has anyone actually tried this?

Keith Sanborn

bryantocara

Re: using Blackmagic Design Video Assist with Davinci Resolv

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 10:35 pm

I currently have mine connected to sdi out of my DeckLink MiniMonitor 4k so that I can record the feed when I give shadowing sessions. When I'm not recording, I just use it as a False Color monitor in addition to my main HDR reference monitor. So really, I still depend on the DeckLinks clean feed and NOT my computers. The Video Assist will record any signal you input to it, but it does not process the signal and make it bypass the OS like an UltraStudio/DeckLink would. Basically, I opted for a DeckLink+VideoAssist combo, since I also DP on the side. An UltraStudio does the job of both of those combined. Ah, and one more note, I tried recording in .braw, but that gets disabled if it detects a feed from another blackmagic product (Resolve or one of the cameras).

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Keith Sanborn

Re: using Blackmagic Design Video Assist with Davinci Resolv

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 4:44 pm

Thanks. So, that would be a no. I eventually went for the UltraStudio 4k mini. Not freestanding like the Video Assist, but I need something for critical color correction. Will eventually go for the Video Assist as I would love to be able to record BRAW on location.

Keith

Return to Post Production