Using the Ultrastudio 4K mini to capture VHS tapes

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

VeritasNL

Using the Ultrastudio 4K mini to capture VHS tapes

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I have some old VHS tapes that I'd like to digitalize. I have an old VHS player that has a scart-out connector. Is it possible to connect this to the Ultrastudio with certain cable? I've tried to look for scart --> BNC, or would I need another type of cable? For the audio I can use the RCA out on the VHS player to the analog audio in of the Ultrastudio.

Uli Plank

Re: Using the Ultrastudio 4K mini to capture VHS tapes

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 3:12 am

If the signal on your SCART is YUV component, anybody who knows which way to hold a soldering iron can make a cable for you. If it's RGB, you're out of luck.
You may still need a Time Base Corrector if your picture looks distorted.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Cary Knoop

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 4:15 am

VeritasNL wrote:Hi all,

I have some old VHS tapes that I'd like to digitalize. I have an old VHS player that has a scart-out connector. Is it possible to connect this to the Ultrastudio with certain cable? I've tried to look for scart --> BNC, or would I need another type of cable? For the audio I can use the RCA out on the VHS player to the analog audio in of the Ultrastudio.

If the source is precious then I would strongly recommend you rent a VHS player with S-Video out and TBC. Capture the video interlaced.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 4:22 am

Second that. Some SCART connectors carry a composite signal too, but that’s the lowest quality.

Another option would be a DVD-recorder. They are usually reading analog signals pretty well and some have SCART. That way you’d already have a digital copy you can read as a file.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

VeritasNL

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 am

Cary Knoop wrote:
VeritasNL wrote:Hi all,

If the source is precious then I would strongly recommend you rent a VHS player with S-Video out and TBC. Capture the video interlaced.

But would it matter if the source is an old home VHS tape which has probably been recorded on through a composite cable?

Return to Post Production