Resolve 8 & 9 color shift on render

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Steve Sebban

Resolve 8 & 9 color shift on render

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello all,

I graded my first short movie on Resolve 8 today. It was a FCPX-Resolve round trip and I've got the footage from the editor. (720p DVCPro HD converted to Prores 422). On the Resolve player, the picture looks great but back to FCPX and it felt wrong.

Half a day of searching why later, I have found that the renders from Resolve have a Gamma/Contract AND a small tint shift. Although a gamma shift is generally caused by some QT bugs, I have never encounter a small tint shift. I have tried to render to almost everything Resolve 8 can output (DPX, Tiff, uncompressed RGB & YUV, Prores) and nothing helped. I even tried to import the rendered footage in Resolve to check if it wasn't a bug on the video players I've used (FCP7, FCPX, QT7 & QTX) and although the picture looked a little more alike my grading, putting the rendered layer on top of the corrected one with subtract composite mode didn't give me a full black as expected.

I have suspected a bad install so I clean-installed Mountain Lion and Resolve 9 and retried the renders and I'm still getting the color shift.

For now, as the director is in a hurry to present the movie to its client, I have created a track grading correction to compensate for the tint & gamma shift but I really wonder why this is happening. I have encountered big color space shifting when something is not setup correctly (essentially on Baselight when tag clips issues) but a subtle tint shift is a first.

I'll like to hear your thoughts about it and any help is welcome to solve my issue.

My Specs: MacPro 2008 2x4 2.8 Ghz, 10 GB Ram, GTX 570 2.5GB
PS: the system I'm working on doesn't have a grading monitor yet so all is done on the same computer screen

jeansemeur

Re: Resolve 8 & 9 color shift on render

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Hello

i have the same problème with the same round trip

if someone have a fix it would be appreciable

thank

mg

dqford

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 pm

I too have the exact same problem. An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

dezzy

John Tissavary

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Do not judge content from the Quicktime player. If the correct gamma bits are not read (or don't exist) for the content then the quicktime player assumes gamma 1.8 when it should be 2.2 or something else, but never 1.8.

Not saying there isn't some other problem, but you cannot judge accuracy from the utterly useless quicktime player in either windows or osx.

If you look at the quicktime in resolve, vlc, or after effects, does it still look wrong?

JT
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

dqford

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 12:07 am

I read somewhere that you have to select Auto in the Set to Video or Data Level box in the Delivery page.

There are three options: Auto, Unscalled Full Range, and Normally Scalled Legal Video

I did a quick test to ProRes444 of a ProRes422 clip. I found that the Normally Scaled Legal Video was very desaturated and washed out. Auto and Unscaled Full Range looked true to the original grade in the Resolve Viewer. I assume that Auto simply defaulted to Unscaled Full Range because the two appeared identical to my eye.

Hope this helps.

Return to Post Production