Corrupted BRAW Files

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bradporter

Corrupted BRAW Files

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 pm

I have BRAW footage shot on my BMPCC 6K Pro, dumped to an external drive, that no longer exists on the cards. Somehow (oi) the footage wasn't reviewed before the card was wiped and shot on many times over, so going back to 'original' camera files isn't an option.

The 'corrupted' BRAW files (the whole card's worth) all play in Davinci/BRAW player, but when they do, there are random colored horizontal lines of varying sizes/widths which 'dance' across the video (changing every frame). The sound seems intact. I've tried using a HEX editor to compare the corrupted files to working BRAW clips, but I'm in over my head - I think the headers are intact. Especially odd is that the BRAW clips do open and play, just with digital noise on top of them.

I've managed to accidentally recreate the issue. It seems to appear when I transfer BRAW clips onto this particular external HD, and only occasionally. TerraCopy gives me the 'hashes mismatch' error. Unmounting the drive and restarting the computer seems to fix the issue, allowing for a normal transfer of the footage.

Screenshot (25).jpg
Screenshot Example of Corrupted Clip
Screenshot (25).jpg (765.05 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Has anyone else run into this? Does anyone have a solution or recommendations on how to recover? I have several clips that are distorted in this same way and would love to find a solution to recovering these files that doesn't cost arm+leg.

Uli Plank

Re: Corrupted BRAW Files

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 2:47 am

I’m afraid it’s a job for patching frame by frame, if the footage is worth it.
And then, I wouldn’t trust any important data to that HDD any more (as if there’s unimportant data).
In the future, use the clone tool in DR or, even better, ShotPut Pro.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Priestlyedits

Re: Corrupted BRAW Files

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 5:59 pm

I witnessed that some of the BRAW files are just black and won’t play even in the braw player. This happened after offloading to the storage hard drive from the recording card.
Any suggestions pls

Return to Post Production