Desktop Video and MacOS, crash on reboot.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Henrik Cednert

Desktop Video and MacOS, crash on reboot.

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 5:40 pm

Hello

Curious if anyone else is seeing a "Your computer restarted because of a problem" dialogue when rebooting their Mac system with DesktopVideo installed?

I have a hard time to pinpoint when this started here. We saw it on Monteray from 12.7.1 or 12.7.2 and probably with Desktop Video 12.8 but for sure with 12.8.1. And this on clean and fresh installs on Intel rack MacPro's.

Now I see it om Sonoma 14.3.1 and 14.4 and same behavior on multiple machines. This machine I'm troubleshooting now is a fresh and clean install of 14.3.1 and nothing else other than Desktop Video 12.8.1 have been installed. As soon as I install DV it starts to crash when rebooting. Or, what happens is that every time we restart it it we get the "Your computer restarted becaue of a problem" dialogue.

In the panic log we see this. Could be DeckLink driver related, maybe? That he driver.watchdog has some issues with it?

Code: Select all
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
         com.apple.driver.watchdog(1.0)[F1797B78-7645-3FC6-AD29-624DD0826DA0]@0xffffff800bc8f000->0xffffff800bc91fff
Process name corresponding to current thread (0xffffff8c078b8598): watchdogd

Tried my luck with support but that was a dead end since no one else had reported a similar issue.

Have anyone else seen this?

Cheers and thanks
Henrik Cednert | cto | cbb | Filmlance International | www.filmlance.se

Uli Plank

Re: Desktop Video and MacOS, crash on reboot.

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 am

I'd try to exclude a hardware issue by finding any storage device you can erase, put only Monterey, DR and DV on it and try, with a different cable too (Thunderbolt, not USB-C!). If it still crashes, your device is dead.
BTW, does it light up (tiny white LED)?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Henrik Cednert

Re: Desktop Video and MacOS, crash on reboot.

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

Uli Plank wrote:I'd try to exclude a hardware issue by finding any storage device you can erase, put only Monterey, DR and DV on it and try, with a different cable too (Thunderbolt, not USB-C!). If it still crashes, your device is dead.
BTW, does it light up (tiny white LED)?

Apologies, I missed some key information.
These (multiple) systems, macpro 2019, have Decklink 8k cards. Devices are working fine. The issue is that as soon as driver is installed, after each reboot we get a “your computer restarted because of
A problem” dialogue. So I guess/assume that something related to driver/decklink crashes when the system releases it during the OS shutdown.
Henrik Cednert | cto | cbb | Filmlance International | www.filmlance.se

Return to Post Production