Codecs for capturing - US 3D with Final Cut Studio

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

der_Stefan

Codecs for capturing - US 3D with Final Cut Studio

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 pm

While sometimes on set it would be faster to capture some footage directly in Final Cut Studio (7), I realized that same codecs are missing in comparison to Media Express.
I can choose following:
Apple ProRes HQ, Apple ProRes 444(4), DVC ProHD, Uncompressed 10bit, Uncompressed 8bit, JPEG

What is about Apple ProRes 422 Proxy and Apple ProRes 422 LT ? I can't choose that in Final Cut using the US3D, but at least LT is available in Media Express.

der_Stefan
life is hard - but the graphics are great

der_Stefan

Re: Codecs for capturing - US 3D with Final Cut Studio

PostSun Oct 28, 2012 5:23 pm

and up again - anyone out there with answers ? :)

der_Stefan

Paul Provost

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 am

Are you talking about easy setups in fcp7?
The decklink installer does not create easy setups for every possible codec. You need to modify and create your own capture settings.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

der_Stefan

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 9:16 am

No easy setups. I'm talking about th eaudio/video-settings, where you select input and output formats.
For recordings with BMD there are missing the codecs ProRess422, ProRes LT and ProRes Proxy.

I only can choose the 'big ones' like ProRess HQ, ProRes 4444, 10 bit, JPEG, DVCPRO HD etc.

That's very disappointing. While BMD advertises a lot of edit software and a huge amount of selectable codecs, they seem to conceal that some very important ones ar missing.

Capturing long sessions for reference reasons e.g. into FCP Studio 3 has become inappropriate by using the US 3D and it's 'big' codecs. Nowhere was written, that lightes ones are missing. And nobody of BMD seems to be interested, even when I'm asking for...

But at least Proxy LT is available in Media Express. So, why is it missing in FCP ???????????

der_Stefan

Paul Provost

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 pm

I have them all - havent looked in so long as tape is pretty much dead to me.
but in fcp, go to a/v/ settings - capture presets - choose 1080 prores or whatever, duplicate, then edit. then you can create a new setup with prLT or whatever.
p
like my page:
https://www.facebook.com/4kFinish
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

der_Stefan

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Paul Provost wrote:...go to a/v/ settings - capture presets - choose 1080 prores or whatever, duplicate, then edit. then you can create a new setup with prLT or whatever....

Great, thank you - I was used to get all possible variations by installation. (at least on other capture cards...)

BUT - one thing is really missing - can't find/get a 1080p25-version in FinalCutStudio 3!?!?!
Would really need it for capturing live-feeds from red epic. In Media Express there is a 1080p25 input available, but unfortunatly picture stays black when epic is connected. Seems as if it's not the right setting for epic, while Samurai is getting the feed and telling me it is 1080p25 (i'm talking about 50hz, but not interlaced)

Finally I tried ALL formats - Epic does not show up a picture using US3D - does not matter which format I choose. Only 720p works - but downconverted by extra UpDownCross, because Epic only throws out 1080p...

To sum up - two more problems:
1) no 1080p25 in FCP Studio 3
2) no capture for Red Epic 1080p25 - NOWHERE

any ideas... ?

der_Stefan

Return to Post Production