Footage moving a couple milliseconds at a time while editing

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jbrittain

Footage moving a couple milliseconds at a time while editing

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 6:53 pm

I've been using Studio for awhile, but I've never encountered this issue before. When I drop some footage into the Studio media pool, then drag a file into the edit page and hit play, the footage moves a couple milliseconds at a time, almost like it's forcing itself to play the footage. I've tried changing the project's frame rate within Project Settings, as well as unmounting and re-mounting my drive(s), but nothing has worked so far.

Marc Wielage

Re: Footage moving a couple milliseconds at a time while edi

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 1:52 am

Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source file codec? What timeline settings (res and fps)? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? How is the drive formatted and connected? Which GPU drivers are installed? What are your cache settings? What format are you trying to render to? Do you have any Fusion compositions in the timeline?

A lot of "my files are moving too slow" questions boil down to workflow, and that's a variety of factors based on everything above. Sometimes, you have to alter your source file format in order to get the most out of your current hardware, or if that's not possible, do a big upgrade on all your hardware and leave the source file formats alone. Sometimes, both are necessary.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production