DeckLink HANC

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mehranj

DeckLink HANC

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 10:53 pm

Okay @Blackmgicdesign, let’s be reasonable and respect the individuals on this forum who all have inquired about the HANC capabilities to be deployed into all of your capture device platforms. A user states that the last thing anyone has heard about this topic was about 8 years ago.
A simple explanation would go a long way with your users. Keeping all in the dark isn’t the best practice of a good company.

So kindly provide some information on the topic of introducing HANC into your capture devices.

Thank you,

Mehran

Uli Plank

Re: DeckLink HANC

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 4:33 am

What is HANC? Do you mean HDCP? That's a legal issue.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

stephen_neal

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 10:28 am

Uli Plank wrote:What is HANC? Do you mean HDCP? That's a legal issue.

I think the OP is asking about ANCillary data. There is VANC data in the vertical blanking area and HANC data in the horizontal blanking area between EAV (End of Active Video) and SAV (Start of Active Video).

BMD supports some VANC capture in the SDK (for stuff like closed captions, timecode etc.), and HANC is used - I think - for embedded audio among other things.

Mehranj

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 12:28 pm

Yes exactly! Horizontal Ancillary data. We DIT folks and VTR folks on set have a huge use for it. Metadata. It allows for the flow of metadata.
Just a couple days ago my colleague and I did a test at Arri Rental Toronto. We used a BMD Decklink Quad Duo and a AJA Kona 4 for comparison.

The AJA was able to receive metadata from camera via both direct BNC connection and via wireless transmission (Teradek Bolt 4K LT). This allowed for all of the metadata such as time code, all lens info, camera record settings, SDI flag, WB, Tint, shutter, Framerate, and much more ,… to flow through into our software (Pomfort Livegrade) automatically.

However,

When using the BMD Decklink we were only able to receive all of the same if we were hard wired from SDI. Which is great but not at all useful as 99% of the time, wireless transmission is used on set.

So if BMD could just incorporate this and allow this to be used on their capture card units it would greatly improve and bring beneficial results to us DIT folks.

Vadim Schulz

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 pm

Yes! Very disappointing!
I also asked for it over the years. Nothing happend.
It was also very disappointing to figure out the only BMD device which is capable to automatically record with a SDI record flag is the Video Assist. So it’s not like they don’t know how to implement it. For some reason it’s not in other recorders or Decklinks.
You could ask some DIT colleagues to write about this problem, too.
Vadim Schulz, SOC BVK

Return to Post Production