Error on video field processing - Broadcast illegal?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Florian Kohlert

Error on video field processing - Broadcast illegal?

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 am

Hi,

I´ve noticed, that one "column" of black gets inserted into my picture as soon as i enable video field processing in the project settings. This is viewable on my video output and on the software scopes. It gets rendered out as well. I also noticed that i get a white border around my picture as soon as i sharpen any image if i have video field processing enabled.
I don´t think this is broadcast legal and will get rejected. And i would consider this a serious problem. Any hints on that one? Track wide zoom in seems to be not a good solution.

Thanks
Florian Kohlert

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Error on video field processing - Broadcast illegal?

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Assuming we are talking about V9 Resolve, in Project Settings / Image Scaling / Image Scaling, set Anti-alias edges to Off, and see if that helps. If that does not help, in the same area, set "When resizing and scaling" to: Uses Bilinear Filter.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Florian Kohlert

PostTue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi.

We are talking about Resolve V9.02 full version, material is 1080i50 DNxHD shot on F3, C300 and PDW700. Turning Anti-alias off doesn´t help. Setting resize to bilinear helps, but as the manual states
Bilinear Filter: A lower quality setting that is less processor intensive. Useful for previewing your work on a low-performance computer before rendering, when you can switch to one of the higher quality options
So I´m quite a bit afraid that this workaround might harm my material. Do you think a track resize of ~ 1,010% with the sharper filter is better than turning on bilinear? And i guess i have to turn off "Force sizing to highest quality" on the delivery page as well if I want to get bilinear rendered out?

Thank you
Florian Kohlert

Florian Kohlert

PostThu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 am

After turning checkboxes on and off like crazy i can now be a little more precise about my problem, but i still wonder what the best workaround would be. If i turn off Antialias the black columns left and right disappear and if i switch from "sharper filter" to bilinear filter the garbled lines (looks like wave interference) introduced by sharpening on top an bottom disappear.
So as a workaround i could set Antialias to off and resize to Bilinear or i could zoom my whole project track-based by 1.004, any suggestions?

Return to Post Production