Conforming Issue with R3D - Clips don`t link , no Force Conf

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Christian Stoehr

Conforming Issue with R3D - Clips don`t link , no Force Conf

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi guys, my first project in Resolve Lite 9.02 Mac
I got the timeline to import all the media into the Media Pool, but only 10% of the timeline links to the footage.

I am looking at the clip in the timeline with a film symbol on it and a crossed out circle on it (not just a Red X as described in the manual), and I have the matching clip selected in the Media Pool (that DaVinci imported) why won`t they connect, and why do I not get the "Force Conform with Clip in Media Pool" option (its greyed out) ?

There are No speed changes or effects on the clip. I also opened the R3D file in Red Player to verify that the requested timecode range is existing in the clip. Any ideas, I am stuck ?
Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Conforming Issue with R3D - Clips don`t link , no Force

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Force Conform is grayed out because the timeline is locked. Double click the Lock icon to unlock it. Now you can force conform clips.

I can't tell you, without being in front of it and seeing the actual media and project and XML(?) why stuff is not linking. But do make sure that the Project Settings / Master Project Settings / Conform area "Timecode calculated at:" setting is correct BEFORE you put any media in the Media Pool or Import an XML/AAF/EDL. If that does not match your media frame rate, nothing will work well. And if you have mixed frame rate media involved, make sure "Handle mixed frame rate material" is enabled in the same Conform settings area as mentioned above.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Christian Stoehr

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks Dwain, the lock on the timeline was locked as you said. That was a embarrassing mistake.
As far as the linking, this is what I found out, and you are mostly right also.
I had to go into my Project setting and under Raw setting s and RED change the timecode to "Absolute"
When set to "Camera" it would change the timecode during import into the media pool.
I changed that before, but had to start a whole new project to get it to work,( referring back to your answer about changing it before media import. )

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks for that feedback. Yes, I forgot about Red files having 2 timecode options being a potential issue. Hopefully I will remember that next time.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to Post Production