SDI to Dreamcolor via Mini-Converter & Panny Plasma Question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Synnöve

SDI to Dreamcolor via Mini-Converter & Panny Plasma Question

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 12:20 am

I'm an amateur trying to put together what is probably the ultimate budget setup for a HD grading system, given that the new 24" Dreamcolor has a sub 1000USD price!

Historically there has been a problem getting the Dreamcolor engine to function with decklink HDMI outputs due to the output not being 4:4:4 RGB. I'm curious if the Black Magic SDI to HDMI mini converter will convert the YCbCr 4:2:2 output of the Decklink card to the 4:4:4 output needed by the Dreamcolor?

If it can, and assuming the 295 price of the mini-converter is accurate, the roughly 600 dollar price of the new DreamColor, and the 300 for the decklink, this'd equate to a simple HD grading system at a 1500 USD cost at most.

If it in fact does not work then my next option, based on the budget, would be a Panasonic TH-42BT300U plasma. Not a future-proof display to be sure, but I do know it can faithfully reproduce 709 enough for my needs. However, I'm worried about the ABL issues inherent to plasma technology effecting the grade. I know it has a monitor function that theoretically turns off the ABL at the expense of large amount of brightness. Can this display hit 100nits with the monitor mode enabled?

Thanks!

Al Powell

Re: SDI to Dreamcolor via Mini-Converter & Panny Plasma Ques

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 am

You know what setup is shockingly giving me really great results? The LG ColorPrime 27EA83 + a Decklink mini. It'll calibrate with whatever calibration tool you have, it stores profiles, it's 10 bit, IPS, has a myriad of inputs - but even without all that in the standard sRGB mode what I'm rendering out matches perfectly with the other REC709 displays I'm testing footage on. I actually kinda like it more than the Dreamcolor. It's certainly easier to use.

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27EA83

adamroberts

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 6:04 am

WOW! Al that's one of the first positive posts I've seen from you. :-)

I'm glad to see you got the combo working. Are you connecting the display via HDMI from the DeckLink mini?

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 am

I have a bigger question: the LG is 2560 x 1440. Do you see any scaling issues when displaying 1920x1080? That's what I would be worried about.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Al Powell

PostFri Apr 11, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm connecting via HDMI from the Decklink mini with Resolve. I plug it into a GTX770 when I'm not. I was worried the scaling might be an issue but it isn't - the BM card only displays fullscreen and looks fine, everything else the monitor will allow you to choose 1:1, stretch, etc. But more importantly - the colors are dead on when I display the footage elsewhere.

Cristian Buru

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Does the LG really accepts 10 bits through the HDMI input?
Many "so-called" 10 bits monitors in this price range only accept 10 bits through DisplayPort.

I'm quite interested in this as I will get a Decklink Mini in a couple of days.

Also are there any scaling artifacts? I'm worried that a monitor that is not exactly 1920x1080 will have problems displaying FullHD.

Al Powell

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Kuky wrote:Does the LG really accepts 10 bits through the HDMI input?
Many "so-called" 10 bits monitors in this price range only accept 10 bits through DisplayPort.

I'm quite interested in this as I will get a Decklink Mini in a couple of days.

Also are there any scaling artifacts? I'm worried that a monitor that is not exactly 1920x1080 will have problems displaying FullHD.

I'd say this; it's better than my Dreamcolor - and if you don't like it you can return it.

Return to Post Production