You guys' premiere workflow?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Viktor Schroeder

You guys' premiere workflow?

PostSun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi all,

I took the jump to Resolve, but are really facing problems regarding the roundtripping from Premiere -> Resolve and back.
Therefor I would love to hear what people are doing out there!? :)

As of now we do loads of music videos most of the time shot on the RED Epic. These are often in a fast pace, with lots of clips and effects, camera shakes, speed mappings and what not.

I tried a few things, but simply can't find the 'perfect' way to do it.

My intial idea was: My editor makes a really raw draft with clips without effects and all that. I grade it, render it out and hand the files over. I was sure I could use the "replace footage" function in Premiere to link to the new files, but it just gives a black screen - I guess it's because the rendered file is "baked" where in Premiere you just made in and out points.

Since it's 5K, should I then render it out in 5K? In this way, the editor still got the option to crop the image when doing shakes, panos and what not.

So now i'm pretty lost about how to do it the best way, and I would love to hear how you guys do it!

Before Resolve I was using Magic Bullet Looks - it takes forever and forever to render out on a 5K file, but the workflow was really straight forward!

John Tissavary

Re: You guys' premiere workflow?

PostSun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Round tripping to PP will depend on what kind of media you are using. Usually I find the easiest way is to just share the exact same media between resolve & PP - unless it's a long GOP format like h.264 or mpeg-2, in which case pre-transcoding makes sense, and I do that before editing, though you can use media manager to transcode everything to a new PP project in source mode.

Workflow when sharing same media:

Once picture is locked, export an FCP XML plus an offline reference (I use h.264 codec for this), import into Resolve, conform, grade, then use the FCP XML roundtrip preset when rendering. Then import the resulting Resolve generated XML into PP and you should be in good shape. I have used this in FCP, but only on a relatively simple test project in PP, but it should work.

If you render the media from the PP timeline and then grade from that you won't get a roundtrip, because there is no way that I know of to export 'source mode' from PP like there is from Resolve.

You can also use PP's media manager to export a trimmed media version of the project.

JT
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

Return to Post Production