BUG: Replacing clips creates weird grade

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Elliott Balsley

BUG: Replacing clips creates weird grade

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 am

I'm replacing a few clips in my timeline using the Replace edit command. The clips I'm replacing don't have any grade yet. But as soon as I replace a clip, it immediately has a grade applied. It's higher saturation and a warm cast, which is a look I applied to some clips earlier in the timeline. And I have that look saved in Memory bank 1. But I see no reason for it to be applied to new clips like this. Am I wrong, is this expected behavior?
Also, on one clip in particular, the mysterious grade is turned on with a keyframe halfway through the clip.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: BUG: Replacing clips creates weird grade

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 am

Resolve uses source timecode and reel name or clip name or fine name etc to identify the clips and apply grades. If you put too clips on the timeline with matching timecode etc, they grade will be applied to both.

It sounds like you don't have discreet timecode/reel name for your clips. You can fix the timecode in the Media pool, or modify the reel name. Or, make a local version of the grade. Details in the manual.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Elliott Balsley

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 am

Ah I see what you mean. I think that explains it. In the FCP project I was given, there are no reel numbers, and timecode for each clip starts at zero because it's from a DSLR. I wish they had used Log & Transfer, but I'm not the editor. I didn't realize this would affect Resolve though. Based on what you said, I'm in big trouble, because most of the clips have the same timecode (starting at 0) and reel. Is there some way to disable or change this behavior? What would you recommend for a project like this? Do I need to just export the whole thing as one file from FCP and split it up with scene detection?
Elliott C. Balsley
www.llamafilm.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 10:09 am

Imagine the computer needs to sort a list of clips in order.. with every shot having the same timecode.... pretty hard to sort. Thus you need some second item to help the sort.... Resolve can use the file name, which is ideal for material with 00:00 timecode, and so try enabling that in the config project settings... there is a whole chapter in the manual that discusses things to do 'Before you conform'
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Elliott Balsley

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Ah yes. I did read through that chapter, but with so many new things I must have missed that. Thank you.
Elliott C. Balsley
www.llamafilm.com

Return to Post Production