No real time

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Patrick Spadrille

No real time

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 am

I just installed Resolve 9 lite. Wonderful software! I'm just surprised that i can't get real time even one node.
My system is :
Mac Pro 8 cores 2,8Ghz
5GB Ram
Graphic card for UI : ATI Radeon X2600XT
Graphic card for power : Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 1,5GB
My project is in Prores 422 HQ 1080p.

Even with one node with juste one key and one power window, i only get 17 fps.
Is that normal?
What is the best way to upgrade my system to have real time?
MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB Unified Memory. Internal SSD 1TB.

Ola Haldor Voll

Re: No real time

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 10:47 am

Based on the GPU only, yes, that's normal.
If you get a GPU with more CUDA cores, you'll have a better suited system for RT playback.

There are other things to consider too. Like hard drive speed and RAM. I believe I've read 6GB ram is minimum, or at least recommended minimum.

But start with the GPU and see how it goes.

Patrick Spadrille

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 am

What are the best cuda cards for Mac? I thought the FX4800 was the best...

Dan Moran

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Thats not normal. You should be at least getting 6 or 7 and possibly up to 11 depending on what your doing.

It could be your CPU is not fast enough to decode ProRes in realtime. If you change your video monitoring option from 10 bit to 8 bit and it works in realtime then it is a CPU releated issue.

I think at least a 4,1 MacPro is needed for realtime ProRes playback in Resolve.

D
Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
www.smoke-mirrors.com
www.danmorancolor.com

Patrick Spadrille

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Changing settings to 8 bits doesn't change the fps results. But thank you for your input.

rick.lang

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 4:23 am

Spadrille wrote:I just installed Resolve 9 lite. Wonderful software! I'm just surprised that i can't get real time even one node.
My system is :
Mac Pro 8 cores 2,8Ghz
5GB Ram
Graphic card for UI : ATI Radeon X2600XT
Graphic card for power : Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 1,5GB
My project is in Prores 422 HQ 1080p.

Even with one node with juste one key and one power window, i only get 17 fps.
Is that normal?
What is the best way to upgrade my system to have real time?

Sounds like you have a Mac Pro (early 2008), version 3,1. Ola may have the solution regarding upgrading the graphics card. Dan may be right that the CPUs are lacking in horsepower. It is say showing its age compared to the power of even recent MacBooks and iMacs. One option, if you can tolerate not having real-time playback, is waiting about a year for the 2013 Mac Pro that Tim Cook confirmed is coming.

If you can't wait, Resolve 9 is now 64 bit and may be demanding more memory. Have you ran Activity Monitor during playback to see how much free memory you have? It will likely be paging and swapping memory and that slows your performance. You should ideally see a swap size if 0 and no page outs. You could upgrade memory to 16 GB but that will be quite costly on an older computer.

You could also try using an SSD for your internal drive. Do you have a lot if free disk space in hour drives so they are performing up to par? Activity Monitor can show you your access speed to the disks. If the disks seem very busy but you are not getting much performance, they may be too full.

These are costly and may not get you to realtime if the CPU is lacking. Again Activity Monitor will tell you if you are maxing out the CPU during playback.

Let us know what Activity Monitor is reporting. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you what resources the GPU is using but it can certainly help with CPU, memory, disk activity. It may be a combination of things that doesn't justify all these upgrades if you are considering a new machine next year.
Rick Lang

Patrick Spadrille

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 8:32 am

Thank you for your answer. I have run activity monitor. It does'nt seem to be a CPU issue since i still have more or less 50% unused. My hard drives have plenty of free space and are more than 4 times speed enough to support 1080P in Prores 422 HQ. I really think the memory is in fault. It have less than 100MB free. That is not good!
I have ordered 8 GB more. I will see if that solve the issue. I will tell you if that works. Otherwise, yes a finaly New Mac Pro would be great. It's been a long time since we are waiting for it. How is it possible that the Mac Pro still does'nt have Thunderbolt?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 am

I think the UI GPU is also under powered for Resolve. Try setting the master project settings, video monitoring to optimise the display mode during playback. Also on the image scaling settings set to Bilinear sizing while grading and back to sharper for render.
Please refer to the config guide if you are planning to upgrade.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Patrick Spadrille

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

I have installed 8GB more ram and it doesn't help. Setting the scaling to bilinear helps but still no real time even with no node. The processor doesn't seem to be the problem as it is underused as showned in the activity monitor. Is really a quadro FX 4600 1,5GB not good enough? Does anybody have that card and can share his experience with me?

Return to Post Production