Feature Request - Media Pool Filtered Purge

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris_Martin

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm

We've dipped our toes into the water of collaborating with productions whom want to maximize DI color time with us while doing the heavy lifting conform themselves. For the most part this has been great but one thing that sometimes occurs is that the Resolve project that is delivered has a media pool that is loaded with plenty of out takes. What I usually like to do is copy and paste from the media pool to localize content and obviously I don't want to localize a boat load of out takes.

It would be great to have a function that does a filtered media purge based on a timeline so all out takes we dumped.

If v11 takes off as a creative NLE I can see the above becoming more of a workflow bottleneck and this would be a super cool feature.
Chris Martin
Senior Colorist
Spy Post, San Francisco
A FotoKem Company

Marc Wielage

Re: Feature Request - Media Pool Filtered Purge

PostSat Jul 26, 2014 12:50 am

I think a 3rd party program like Resolve Collect would do this, though you'd have to then bring in the "collected" footage without all the extraneous material and then relink:

http://www.niwa.nu/2013/06/collect-sour ... e-collect/

In Pro Tools, I know there's a mode where you can say, "highlight all the clips in the bins that I'm not using," and then you can get rid of it. This would be just an additional database step for Resolve, but it could be done if they wanted to spend the programming time to do so.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Harris Charalambous

PostSat Jul 26, 2014 2:13 pm

A one click function would be great but in the meantime you can also filter by usage in the media pool. Then delete the used shots?

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Back to this one:

you can now select the timelines and move/copy the data, but please add a [PURGE] function: as simple as:

Look at your timelines (all of them) and:

option 1) move to directory [X] all the unused material (keeping the structure folder) so you can park the material out of the SAN/RAID and you can recover if you do something very stupid
option 2) delete the unused material
option 3) delete the unused material AND trim the tails of the used material to [X] whenever possible deleting the extra take material.

It is badly needed a way to purge the unused material... I suggest to call this button [AXE].....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Also, can you BM guys move this tread on the Resolve one? it get lost....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Chris_Martin

PostFri Oct 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Hey Walter,

If you right click timeline and move media (instead of copy) does the media pool update the file paths so no change of source folder destination is needed?

Here's to BM making an AXE feature!

BTW just got our Linux license and building a system - very excited :)
Chris Martin
Senior Colorist
Spy Post, San Francisco
A FotoKem Company

Marc Wielage

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 2:10 am

Chris_Martin wrote:If you right click timeline and move media (instead of copy) does the media pool update the file paths so no change of source folder destination is needed?

I'm very reluctant to use the "move" command because it deletes the originals.

You can always use the Option command to automatically relink to new files, which is a must-have. It's basically the same as the Relink command that already exists in v12.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Oct 18, 2015 12:24 am

In the media pool, look for the 'Usage' column. Add it if you can't see. Then right click on the media pool and select 'Update Usage' which should review all the timelines and give you a count of each clip used. Sort the Usage column and all used clips will be at the top (bottom) and select those to copy. Remove the others if you like.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve