Consolidating ARRI Alexa RAW files

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Erline O'Donovan

Consolidating ARRI Alexa RAW files

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Hello.

Is there a similar option as Trim RED clips for ARRI Alexa RAW files?

I'm trying to consolidate my project, which has been cut in Media Composer using DNxHD 36 files created in Resolve, and I would like to copy the RAW rushes to a new harddrive from the various harddrives on which they are backed up to then conform the film from the consolidated media. I don't have enough space to copy entire takes so I'm looking for the most efficient way to copy only the frames I need (with handles) and I was hoping that would be possible in Resolve, since it can do it for RED footage.

Many thanks.

John Tissavary

Re: Consolidating ARRI Alexa RAW files

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 4:38 pm

I don't think there's a way to do it Resolve, but you can with FCP, Premiere Pro, and Scratch / ScratchLAB

JT
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

Hendro Setyo W

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 am

Not so sure if exporting the ARRI ProRes 4444 from FCP would have the same color range and space. May be can give it a test and let us know about it.

Thanks
Setyo
Hendro Setyo Wibowo
Digital Video Colorist
VHQ Post (M) Sdn Bhd

"Just give it a try, at least once. You'll never know until you try."

Erline O'Donovan

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 am

We're not using ProRes though but .ari files. So technically it would be really easy to only copy certain frames as they're all independent files. It would just take ages to do that manually as the frame numbers are not embedded in our mxf proxies, but they are visible in the burn ins we applied. So unless I check each shot and write down the start and end frame number, using a software like DaVinci (which we are already using so it would not be an extra cost) would be perfect. And there already is a similar option for RED files. If it doesn't exist for ARRI yet I hope it will soon...

I will look into Scratch though, several people have mentioned it now. It's just really expensive...

Michael Phillips

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 pm

I got this question from Rony as a separate thread...

There are a variety of Pull Lists avaiable via FilmScribe from Media Composer, but it only is as good as the metadata logged in order to do so. Both DPX and VFX are frame based counting columns that allow for the following format to be supported:

32characterfilename-8number

If yo put the Arri filename and number as:

arrifilename-number

then you will see this above the source/record monitors as easily as timecode, KeyKode, etc. This information is exported out as XML when using FilmScribe as a START (DPX) and total frames). But although it is available in the list, there would still need to be an application to parse the XML and pull the frames into a new set of directories. FilmScribe would optimized the handles and take care of any overlaps if encountered. There are some filename formatting issues in the DPX that would need to be adhered to, such as filename cannot have "dashes" as that is reserved to separate filename from frame count.

But it seems that some DI apps can do this from an EDL - which in short, they are referencing the filename and timecode from EDL back to the frame based database of the files themselves and doing the same operation. It would be a nice feature to have in Resolve, although it can be done by small dedicated app if someone were to create one.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Erline O'Donovan

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks a lot! This is really helpful. As for the actual copying part, we are looking into making a script to automatically copy the frames we need.

Erline

Return to Post Production