URGENT Cubix/Red Rocket fail

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Peter Barrett

URGENT Cubix/Red Rocket fail

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 am

Hi all - an urgent one I've been trying to solve all day. I have a RED Epic job in tomorrow and my Red Rocket card is seen but won't perform. It's in slot 2 in the Cubix as recommended.

Using Resolve 10.1.5, under OS X 10.9 only one GPU card and the RR are seen (known issue). Reboot under my 10.8.5 partition, all three GTX 680s and the RR are seen in Prefs. However, selecting "Use RR when available" causes all clips to display black, and thumbnails black also. Selecting "Use GPU for debayer" reveals all media, presumably avoids the RR card, and plays at less than real time at half-good.

I suspected my card, borrowed another and now have two RR cards, in Cubix slots 2 & 4, both seen, neither work. Then I wondered if they'd shot on Dragon and I needed an RR X but no, I'm assured it was Epic.

I started with recommended CUDA and Nvidia drivers and since updated to see if that was a fix - no go. I've deinstalled and tried v11.0 and in desperation v9 (I have graded RED before!) and no dice.

Feels like some sort of compatibility issue but my system is pretty clean. Ideas? Thanks!
Peter Barrett

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: URGENT Cubix/Red Rocket fail

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Peter
If you have any dragon or monochrome files on the timeline the original Rocket will not provide frames. You should check the clip res, and sensor type if in doubt... RCX will show you these and will also not use Rocket in the same manner.

you could also deselect in preference and use GPU debayer.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Barrett

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 am

Hi Peter

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. It's all identified in RCX as REDCODE 6:1, no HDR 4K. No Dragon or mono material as far as I can tell. Camera is EPIC-M.

Trying to avoid GPU debayer after the significant spend on cards, but hey.

Other things I've done: PRAM reset, permissions repair...
Peter Barrett

Peter Barrett

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 12:26 am

Mystery solved - it was indeed Dragon footage - 4K not 6K which fooled me. Fun fun.
Peter Barrett

Return to Post Production