Avid AAF round trip problems

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Chris Coote

Avid AAF round trip problems

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi
I am trying to import an AAF of dailies (DNXHD 45) made in Resolve (V11) into Avid (Symphony v6.04)
I get errors every time "Sequence refers to non-existent track in clip" or Incorrect number of tracks of the requested type". I would send frame grabs but it says the board attachment quota has been reached? Administrator???
If I click "continue" through the errors, I see the clips in the bin with V1 A0-2 in the tracks column.
They wont play though and keep giving errors.
However, if I open the media tool and drag the clips into a bin they open fine. Under "track" it says V1 A1-2,
or V1 A1-8 - like it should, depending on my resolve audio export settings. These clips play fine.
This makes me think that the DNXHD files are fine - it's just the AAF that Avid doesn't like.
Anybody seen these error messages? Am I losing any metadata by dragging from the media tool, instead of importing the AAF?
I have tried using V7 of Avid with the same results. I have tried different combinations of export settings
using the Avid AAF round trip preset in Resolve as a starting point with no luck. I have tried exporting video without audio - no luck.
The original footage is Sony XAVC with 8 channels exported as DNXHD 45.
Thanks
Chris

Kenneth Kordisch

Re: Avid AAF round trip problems

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 11:41 pm

I've had this as well. The AAF will import fine in Avid but the sequence it creates is messed up correct and give you errors, correct? I ended up deleting that sequence that the AAF made and making another. When I cut the clips into the new sequence, it worked fine.

Eric Santiago

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 am

Ive been arm wrestling with this for weeks now.
The only fix was to drag the MDB file into a Bin and you will at least get the clips over.
I have a long extended post at the Avid forum- if anyone cares to read it.
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/129722.aspx
Of course this doesnt work well if you have an edited sequence to hang onto.

Michael Phillips

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 am

Are you making changes to the timeline in Resolve other than color correction?

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Eric Santiago

PostThu Sep 18, 2014 3:53 am

Michael Phillips wrote:Are you making changes to the timeline in Resolve other than color correction?

Michael

Michael from CreativeCow?

If it is, thanks again!!

And if the question is to me, no Im just using Resolve 11 as a conduit between FCPX and Avid MC.

However after Avid, its back to Resolve for Color Grading, blanking and all that cool stuff to DPX ;)

Eric Santiago

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Well it looks like Im not out of the woods with this workflow yet.

All AAF exported from Resolve 11 to Avid MC then AAF export (all options ) to Pro Tools is buggy as heck.
Out of a dozen attempts one file made it across but with this error:

This session contains media that is not supported possibly due to a missing CODEC.

The error occurs only with MXF DNxHD files from Resolve to Avid.

I went ahead and AMA a few R3Ds into Avid then did a Transcode and they seem to work fine with no issues.

Do I need to upgrade to Avid MC 8?

Running MC 7.0.4, Resolve 11 and Pro Tools 11.2.1 on OS 10.9.4.

Michael Phillips

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 12:20 am

Version 8/8.1 did not really add anything RED related. I would need to check the Read Me if anything was fixed AAF wise.

And yes, same as from the COW...

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Fred Trevino

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 8:14 pm

I've also had issues with Avid AAF's recently. Not sure if its related to Resolve 11 or not. I just know that in the past I didn't have issues, and my last few projects have had issues with the AAF import into Avid giving errors. For both a general Export and 'generate new AAF' export. On one project things got so difficult that I ended up having to Render to Pro Res, import that graded sequence into Resolve, re-render back to mxf and it finally worked. (that's the short version). After trying everything we had to get creative to meet the deadline.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Eric Santiago

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 12:58 am

The 16 channel bug is really pissing me off here.
Thanks to Michaels tips it helps but honestly they workaround to unlink that many files can get scary.
Im still not sure if these steps are causing my issues on the way to Pro Tools so I use the safe video mixdown instead.

Return to Post Production