Different Color when exporting video.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Marios Karageorgiou

Different Color when exporting video.

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Hello everyone,
Im using the Lite version Davinci Resolve a couple of months now and I have a major problem when exporting my video footage. First of all my monitor is a Dell U2413 which is connected via DVI with an Asus GTX 770 2GB. As profile Im using the Standard combined with a Rec.709 icc profile I have downloaded to match as best as I can a broadcast monitor or at least my HDTV (LE32B650) which I used as guide to bring the colour of my monitor as close as I can. So I do my colour correction to my footage inside Resolve and when Im exporting them as Proress HQ 4:2:2 or as H.264 and open my clips with quicktime player I see difference in the colour section, for example the blues are more cyan with some green colour inside etc.Is there anyone who can advice how to set my Davinci Resolve to match my clips or if my monitor needs hardware calibration and if I do is it a good monitor to simulate Rec.709 profile or do I need a broadcast monitor?

P.S. Dell U2413 is a Wide Gamut monitor.

Marc Wielage

Re: Different Color when exporting video.

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 3:50 am

You need hardware calibration, and those monitors aren't gonna hack it. (My opinion.)

You can always pull the clips inside Resolve and A/B the two video tracks and see if they appear to be identical. If they don't, then you have a problem, possibly a Video/Data render setting. QuickTime 422 is notorious for the dreaded Gamma issue. Do a Google search on QuickTime Gamma Shift -- it's a very well-known issue across many programs.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Subrata Senn

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 am

mariosk9gr wrote:Hello everyone,
Im using the Lite version Davinci Resolve a couple of months now and I have a major problem when exporting my video footage. First of all my monitor is a Dell U2413 which is connected via DVI with an Asus GTX 770 2GB. As profile Im using the Standard combined with a Rec.709 icc profile I have downloaded to match as best as I can a broadcast monitor or at least my HDTV (LE32B650) which I used as guide to bring the colour of my monitor as close as I can. So I do my colour correction to my footage inside Resolve and when Im exporting them as Proress HQ 4:2:2 or as H.264 and open my clips with quicktime player I see difference in the colour section, for example the blues are more cyan with some green colour inside etc.Is there anyone who can advice how to set my Davinci Resolve to match my clips or if my monitor needs hardware calibration and if I do is it a good monitor to simulate Rec.709 profile or do I need a broadcast monitor?

P.S. Dell U2413 is a Wide Gamut monitor.

Prores 422 HQ and H.264 will always have a slight shift. Export from Resolve at data level instead of video level or Auto. Then open the movie file in Quicktime Player 7, adjust gamma to 2.4 (QT player 7 has that option) and you'll feel better. But view that in VLC and you'll get depressed again! :D

If you avoid Prores 422 HQ and H.264 altogether and go for Prores 4444 (taken out again at data level), your colours and black will be by and large retained.
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Marios Karageorgiou

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 9:54 am

Thank you very much for your help guys,
So I compared inside Resolve A and B clips and they have the same difference in colour section.I tried data instead of video and auto but the result with a 4:2:2 codec was the same image with contrast boosted (scopes were showing stretched highlights and shadows). Also with 4:2:2 and h.264 the vlc shows different colour again QT... but the only thing worked great for me was Prores 4444 with data selected in rendering mode and I had the same colour from my exported clip no matter if I play it in Vlc or Qt.Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it :)
Finally because my work is going mostly for a web tv channel but also will play on tv sometime Im trying to find the best profile for my monitor so in both devices can be look good.My problem started when I was using as profile the SRGB from the monitor and when I took the footage to show it on a tv it was a mess! The difference was huge and I didn't know what to do.So my question is if its worth to buy the X-rite i1 Display Pro hardware calibration device which is the only compatible for my monitor (Dell U2413) and calibrate it to a Rec.709 or is it a waste of time and money.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm

The different you see is most likely the lack of proper calibration, the X-rite i1 Display + LightIllusion software will make your final deliverable much closer (assuming that the monitor can actually be calibrated within specs...)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Subrata Senn

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 3:52 pm

mariosk9gr wrote:Finally because my work is going mostly for a web tv channel but also will play on tv sometime Im trying to find the best profile for my monitor so in both devices can be look good.My problem started when I was using as profile the SRGB from the monitor and when I took the footage to show it on a tv it was a mess! The difference was huge and I didn't know what to do.So my question is if its worth to buy the X-rite i1 Display Pro hardware calibration device which is the only compatible for my monitor (Dell U2413) and calibrate it to a Rec.709 or is it a waste of time and money.

I don't know whether Dell U2413 can be fully calibrated. I work with Dell U2711, and it can be calibrated fully.

But since you are planning to calibrate your computer monitor for colour job, you have to calibrate it in sRGB, because that's what the computer's ICC profile can give. Calibrate your monitor to sRGB, D65 white space and 2.4 gamma. It's the same as Rec 709 colour space. Your footage on a "proper" TV should be looking good with this. By "proper" I mean that the TV is set right with right colours. People have the habit of tinkering with brightness, contrast, tint and everything else with TV sets. So, it's difficult to say that the TV has proper colour. The mess that you saw with your footage may not be your fault, it could be due to someone's tinkering with the TV. And yes, X-Rite Display Pro is considered to be good.
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

David Green

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 pm

The Dell U2413 can be calibrated.
Dell also sells the x-rite i1DisplayPro colorimeter as an option for this monitor.
The Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution software gives access to the 14-bit LUT.

The GTX 770 will only give an 8-bit display path.
A Quadro or FirePro would be required to get a 10-bit display path.
David R. Green - Demenzun Media Inc. - Author Composer Filmmaker Programmer

Marios Karageorgiou

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks again for your help guys I really appreciate it.
Subrata my monitor came calibrated from the Dell.It has the option to choose SRGB straight from the monitor instead of using an Icc profile to emulate it but again in my old tvs (LE40M87B, LE32B650) I have test it, the difference is big.Maybe it needs to recalibration, I have this monitor 15 months now.I will buy the x-rite is its my only choice for critical work.Also when Im using the SRGB colour space from my monitor menu do I need pick up from my OS the SRGB icc profile or I leave it to "Dell U2413" so it reads what the monitor gives as profile? Last to buy a Quadro Gpu is going to make a big difference with 10-bit support?

Subrata Senn

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 4:23 am

mariosk9gr wrote:Thanks again for your help guys I really appreciate it.
Subrata my monitor came calibrated from the Dell.It has the option to choose SRGB straight from the monitor instead of using an Icc profile to emulate it but again in my old tvs (LE40M87B, LE32B650) I have test it, the difference is big.Maybe it needs to recalibration, I have this monitor 15 months now.I will buy the x-rite is its my only choice for critical work.Also when Im using the SRGB colour space from my monitor menu do I need pick up from my OS the SRGB icc profile or I leave it to "Dell U2413" so it reads what the monitor gives as profile? Last to buy a Quadro Gpu is going to make a big difference with 10-bit support?

I found the factory calibrated sRGB that came with my Dell 2711 a bit too over-saturated. A proper calibration with a probe made my life easier. Also, calibrations shift and you need to recalibrate a monitor after a while for any colour critical job. Since your monitor is 15 month old, it needs a re-calibration anyway. After you re-calibtate, your monitor will automatically get linked to the new ICC profile created. That's what the probe hardware and softwares do through your computer.

No, quadro GPU with 10-bit support will not make any "big" difference to your eye. If you are running on a single GPU most often you have to work with 8-bit setting, to make your time-line run smoothly. (Real time is not possible with multiple nodes and monitor set to 10 bit). I always work with 8-bit. While rendering out I change the setting to 10-bit and render out at Data level. That's the way Resolve Manual tells us to work for single GPU system and the method works!

Subrata Senn

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 4:27 am

jon Joug wrote:
Hello Subrata
How do you adjust the gamma to 2.4 in QTPro 7?
Are suggesting to reconvert the Resolve QT movies that you rendered and re-export them with QT player at the gamma correction to none ?
Or suggesting to adjust the video playback setting manually for your own pleasure?
Thank you

I am sorry Jon, I made a mistake here. QT-7 cannot adjust the gamma to 2.4. But it has an option to enable Final Cut Studio colour, which makes the Prores files generated from Resolve look nearer to the original colour.

Gerhard Riesenhuber

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 7:40 pm

I've noticed a color difference when rendering H264 direct out of Resolve. It has nothing to do with lack of proper calibration. I rendered color graded ProRes444 Files out of Resolve as H264 and imported them back into Resolve and compared them with the original graded files. Most noticeable was a shift into the green direction. I don't get this shift when I output DNxHD files.

Blackmagic should adress this bug!

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 am

I di not think is a bug, h264 is pretty compressed.. Is part of the game
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Gerhard Riesenhuber

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 am

Normally I go this route for dailies:

Export as DNxHD to AVID > Sync > Export Quicktime reference out of AVID > transcode to H264 via Elgato Turbo.264

If I go this route I don't see a colorshift (it's almost identical to the DNxHDs), although there are more steps involved.

Return to Post Production