Why is my Editing user interface so slow?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Adrian Mathie

Why is my Editing user interface so slow?

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 11:54 am

I was hoping to start using Resolve 11 for editing, to simplify workflow. I have a reasonable Mac Pro (12 core 2.4GHZ, 48GB RAM with a reasonable GPU (NVIDIA Geoforce GTX570 2560MB), appreciating that the latter is the single card driving both my single computer monitor and GPU processing.

I have absolutely no problem with realtime playback of relatively complex grades with a full set of green GPU traffic lights showing in the top viewer bars. My problem is that in the editing window, any trims, zoom ins/outs and other manipulations are very sluggish so that for example, I click and drag to trim and find that a second or two later, the interface catches up. As well as making it nearly impossible to trim accurately, it is very slow. This sort of behaviour is seen, for example, on a simple 1920 x 1080p 25fps timeline, using 1920 x 1080p ProRes 422 HQ source footage with one video track and two audio tracks. I have about 10 clips with a total timeline length of approximately 6 mins. There are dip to black transitions between some of the clips with some basic "title" clips in there as well.

If I delete most of the clips I get improved performance but still not as responsive as I would expect.

I've read the manual section on improving performance and tried these but they all seem to relate to improving rendering of the grading and not the user interface.

So, the question is; why am I having so much difficulty with the edit user interface when I have no problem at all with real time rendering?

Thanks for any insights.

Subrata Senn

Re: Why is my Editing user interface so slow?

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes, I have the same question. Edit is too slow in Resolve. And if it is like this, what's the point in adding so many features to the edit page?
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

Chris Kenny

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 12:47 am

I've found that performance is much improved if I switch to the timeline view option that doesn't display waveforms or thumbnails.
DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve
http://nicedissolve.com

Fred Trevino

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 2:30 am

I've edited in resolve a little, for rough assemblies etc. I noticed after the update to 11 that things got very sluggish in the editing window as well. Hopefully an update will remedy this.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Adrian Mathie

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 8:45 am

Chris Kenny wrote:I've found that performance is much improved if I switch to the timeline view option that doesn't display waveforms or thumbnails.

I'll give that a go, but I'm actually often using the audio waveform as my trimming guide so not seeing it would make life difficult.

If performance is significantly improved by switching audio waveforms and thumbnails off it suggests that they may not both calculated and cached in advance (like what happens in audio production software).

Has anyone tried the new 11.1 beta release for Mac? Does this give improved performance?

Adrian Mathie

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 10:46 am

Chris Kenny wrote:I've found that performance is much improved if I switch to the timeline view option that doesn't display waveforms or thumbnails.

Just tried this and this solves the performance problem but, of course, at the expense of loosing important information during trimming.

Please could Blackmagic comment. For me, it renders Resolve difficult to use as an editing application. Thanks.

Göran Diffner

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Try the dual monitor setting (I forgot the name) I had the same problem but it got better once I switched on dual monitors in the settings.

Fred Trevino

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Adrian Mathie wrote:

I'll give that a go, but I'm actually often using the audio waveform as my trimming guide so not seeing it would make life difficult.

If performance is significantly improved by switching audio waveforms and thumbnails off it suggests that they may not both calculated and cached in advance (like what happens in audio production software).

Has anyone tried the new 11.1 beta release for Mac? Does this give improved performance?

I'm on 11.1 beta and still have the issue. Sluggish edit window.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

DerekCooper

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Any progress on this? Painful.

Return to Post Production