Decklink 4K - Capture Impossible

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Raf Smolak

Decklink 4K - Capture Impossible

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 3:03 pm

So, it seems that while Desktop Video 10.1.1 updated added RGB support at 10 bit, the support for YUV has been dropped altogether?

I simply cannot capture in any format other than 10 Bit RGB when capturing footage. Even worse, is that the options aren't even there in Premiere, so I have to use BM Media Express (which has no audio playback during capture or after).

How are updates causing these cards to be less functional?

This RGB issue has led the 4K cards to be useless for streaming as none of the popular programs work at this point (you HAVE to use 10 bit RGB to get a signal, and the SMPTE 12M doesn't work, RP188 doesn't save when selected as an option). That goes for XSplit, OBS, whatever. It's a software/driver issue.

This is a serious software bug. Is no one else having this issue? I've seen it on 2 different systems with various 4K cards.

John Sellars

Re: Decklink 4K - Capture Impossible

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 6:46 am

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26712&p=166023&hilit=decklink+4k#p166023

Try a different source. I was able to get it to work by "re-clocking" it through an SR deck.

Raf Smolak

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 5:14 pm

The source works on a Decklink Extreme 4K via HDMI.

This is a Decklink Studio 4K. Why would that make any difference?

The differentiating factor here is Desktop Video 10+. I'm glad we haven't updated drivers on anything in our studio, it could have been a massive issue.

John Sellars

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 6:11 pm

All my problems were encountered using 4:2:2 SDI, so not sure about HDMI. Also, I thought 10+ was required with the 4k extreme...
2012 Mac Pro 12 core 32GB
GTX 1080 8GB
Decklink 4K Extreme
ATTO H680
Advanced Panel
High Sierra

Raf Smolak

PostWed Sep 24, 2014 4:17 pm

FYI, Blackmagic have acknowledged the problem and I'm told they are working on a fix.

Raf Smolak

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 am

Desktop Video 10.2.2 has been released to add support for the Studio 4K to YUV and MJPEG in Premier CC.

Still doesn't work at 1080p59.94, yet Media Express does.

Are these updates even tested before being released? Has anyone got the Studio 4K working with those settings?

I'm now past my return date for this card and basically sitting with something that doesn't work as advertised. Not cool.

Jens Wolf

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Same Problem over here.

I do have a Decklink 4k capture Card, but in 4:2:2 HDSDI 1080i50, I do only get black images by capturing via EmguCV library (built my own capture software).

I also do have access to a 4k Extreme Card (which doesn`t belong to me) and there, the code works perfect without any issues.

My Decklink 4k Driver is 10.1.1 or newer (tested all of it), while the driver for the Decklink 4k Extreme is the 9.8.0.0 from Oct 2013, so it is a really old one. But we do not want to update it now, because if we do face the same problem then, it will be a big problem for your workflow.

Anybody with a workaround out there?

Oh, by the way in Media Express everything works like a charm, so the card itself shouldn`t be the problem. It seems that it has something to do with the WDM drivers.

Any feedback from BM officials?

Raf Smolak

PostThu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 pm

I had been conversing with support and the last update was pushed out for this reason (when I originally posted), but it hasn't been fixed still.

We have an Ultrastudio 4K and a 4K Extreme, both with the same older drivers - I strongly recommend NOT upgrading until this has been resolved.

The 4K Studio is practically useless at this point, I'm not sure which other cards are affected. Can't say I'm impressed - especially since I recommended this card to a few people based on the 4K Extreme experiences and they are sitting in the same boat.

Jens Wolf

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 am

Any news regarding the WDM compatibility? Does any of the updates help regarding this issue?

Return to Post Production