Colour Space and Easy DCP

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jim Devlin

Colour Space and Easy DCP

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm using the trial of Easy DCP inside Resolve and I have some questions about the colour space requirements ,that I'm hoping someone with experience can advise me on. The website and tutorial videos don't appear to cover all the options to consider.

My source is a REC 709 DNx36 file from Avid MC 7.

1. Do I need to set the clip attributes of the source file to Data or Video?
2. Do I need to apply a conversion LUT from REC 709 to XYZ space or does the Easy DCP plugin handle this?
3. Again, on the Deliver Page do I choose Normally Scaled Legal Video or Unscaled Full Range Data?
4. Is there any file size limit to a DCP output? Can a 90 minute film just be one timeline?

Thanks in advance for any help

Subrata Senn

Re: Colour Space and Easy DCP

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Jimbob Devlin wrote:
1. Do I need to set the clip attributes of the source file to Data or Video?
2. Do I need to apply a conversion LUT from REC 709 to XYZ space or does the Easy DCP plugin handle this?
3. Again, on the Deliver Page do I choose Normally Scaled Legal Video or Unscaled Full Range Data?
4. Is there any file size limit to a DCP output? Can a 90 minute film just be one timeline?

The answers are:

1. Data would give you better results.
2. No. Let the Easy DCP plugin handle this.
3. Unscaled Full Range Data for better result.
4. No time limit. Even a 150 min film can be one timeline.

Hope this helps.
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

JPOwens

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Subrata Senn wrote:1. Do I need to set the clip attributes of the source file to Data or Video?

what is it in now and does it look right? i.e. blacks are at zero and whites can reach 100?

I'd leave it in 709 video and let the XYZ conversion handle the transform.

jPo

Jim Devlin

PostTue Sep 30, 2014 11:14 pm

The video out of Avid is 8bit Rec 709. Black at 16 White at 235.
If I choose Video levels on input where should the black be when looking at the scopes in resolve?

Subrata Senn

PostWed Oct 01, 2014 3:49 am

You can leave the video clips at Video space, but render out at Data level instead of leaving the setting at Auto or Video.

Compare the results and you would know. The video level is for broadcast video colour space, Data level would give you a more correct Cinema space. In video level rendering, your final picture will look a bit washed out and blacks not at proper place.
Independent filmmaker/producer
Owner of post production facility for cinema including grading and creation of DCPs.

David Franzo

PostSun Oct 05, 2014 4:02 pm

EasyDCP will do the color conversion for you. You just need to make sure the appropriate Timeline Colorspace is selected in the Lookup Tables section of the Project Settings. Also, I think you should be using a higher bit rate and depth codec to feed easyDCP. Jpeg2000 is capable of displaying better quality images than DNxHD 36, which is more suited to proxies IMO. DCPs can be 12-bit.

Michael Phillips

PostSun Oct 05, 2014 8:06 pm

DNxHD 36 is a common source when an "in-progress" screening is desired. I did some testing with two different application for these screening DCP on my blog: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=191

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Return to Post Production