Blackmagic Linux Setup

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Matt Marshall

Blackmagic Linux Setup

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 4:10 am

Im attempting to set up a build for a Linux Davinci Resolve Machine. Somewhat on a budget even though id be really happy to have the Supermicro setup..

In any case, I have the parts heres, however I was wondering about the relationship between gui and core server.

Specifically can the Gui and core server be one machine? In addition setting up a database server would that allow the main Core server to render and the for instance use a macbook pro as a gui server, albeit a bit underpowered. (the one I have at least for RAW). Currently editing in a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 2.8ghz 16gb ram.

Heres what ive got so far for a build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Linux Setup

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 4:57 am

in case you don't know, you need a Linux dongle for Linux, it comes with the BMD panels. You also need to use the Resolve Linux installer and configure as per the Linux config guides. There is no mac/Linux mixed config.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Matt Marshall

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 5:08 am

I have the Davinci Resolve that came with the BMCC 2.5k not sure what that covers then.

In that case would I be forced to go with either mac or Windows? Id honestly rather just run linux. Its operating system is a bit more streamline than window. More customizable than mac.

Updated build with Z97 in leu of new information. May need to hackintosh it. Z97X Thunderbolt is supported by Hackintosh.

Lee Gauthier

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Matt Marshall wrote:I have the Davinci Resolve that came with the BMCC 2.5k not sure what that covers then.

In that case would I be forced to go with either mac or Windows?

Yes, Mac or Windows.

Id honestly rather just run linux. Its operating system is a bit more streamline than window. More customizable than mac.

That's fine. You can buy the Linux version of Resolve for $29,995.

Updated build with Z97 in leu of new information. May need to hackintosh it. Z97X Thunderbolt is supported by Hackintosh.

Recommend searching these forums for other users taking this approach, to see best practices and pitfalls.

Good luck.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 1:25 am

Matt Marshall wrote:Im attempting to set up a build for a Linux Davinci Resolve Machine. Somewhat on a budget even though id be really happy to have the Supermicro setup.

I don't think Linux is configured in BMD's lineup as a "budget" system. You can't get around the $30K pricetag. A fairly huge Mac or Windows machine would be a fraction of that cost and wound handle most everyday situations just fine. If you need to do 4K 3D or 60fps 4K, that requires a lot more horsepower, particularly if you actually need to monitor in 4K.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Matt Marshall

PostSat Oct 25, 2014 4:38 am

Bah I was hoping scaling down the operating system would help boost performance. I have thunderbolt and Mac hardware right now. Would it be advisable to stick with Mac then or go with windows.

I was more hoping to get at least realtime raw performance on 720p or 1080p at the most. Not worrying about 4k right now. The settings can be scaled down then back up for export anyways.

Also speedier rendering times would be a plus. I'm thinking though at this point Mac will most likely be the best option since it works with everything I have anyways.

Hackintosh is an option as well even though there are headaches setting up a system like that, it would work. Hm..

Also switched the motherboard on the build list to a known compatible one for mackintosh purposes.

RebelMM - Design Photo Media : Sent from Tapatalk

Return to Post Production