Premiere to Davinci round trip issue

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MattAnsini

Premiere to Davinci round trip issue

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Hey guys,

Im hoping someone can help out.

So I created 720 proxies from my RAW BMCC footage using Resolve. In premiere I sync'd the external audio to those proxies and created subclips with easy naming structure for my editor (scene/take name and number). I only renamed them in premiere, not the actual files themselves.

So when I tried to link the XML back in Resolve, it did not link to anything. I got the error that the timecode did not match.

I made sure that I had unchecked the "automatically import into media pool" option. I thought that since the actual file names were unchanged, it would still link correctly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Marc Wielage

Re: Premiere to Davinci round trip issue

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 1:27 am

You can't ever rename files, because that breaks the database connection in the XML or AAF. You can always change the metadata for scene & take numbers, notes, reel names, and so on. Do not change file names, ever. And be very careful about moving files or changing directories.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dan Powers

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Renaming in Premiere doesnt change the file name but it does change the clip name for xml export. I think that is an adobe issue.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 am

I'm not sure how it affects subclips, but if it's not working, it's not working. If it changes the clip name, then I would look at manually forcing a conform on the shots that don't automatically come in. That's assuming it's only a handful of shots here and there.

Can it still not find any files even when you point it to the correct directory?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MattAnsini

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Manually linking is an option, that works just fine. It is a short film so it won't be too painful.

Just trying to figure out the issue for situations in the future.

Thanks for the info!

Return to Post Production