Speaker crackle when rendering in resolve

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael McReynolds

Speaker crackle when rendering in resolve

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Don't know if this is just a specific problem for me, but my speakers crackle when rendering in resolve. It's like pink noise whenever CUDA gets activated and the GPUs are processing. Anybody else get this? Anybody know how to fix it?

Mac Pro - Dual GTX 690 - Intensity Pro - Dell UP2414Q
Michael McReynolds
VFX artist, Compositor, Colorist
Atlanta, GA
itaki.com
vimeo.com/user2075203/

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Speaker crackle when rendering in resolve

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 5:04 am

(give more food to those hamsters....)

:lol:
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 am

Im speculating.. when in playback or render the same GPU process occurs but when in Render we don't limit the speed to the timeline rate. Could it be that the power supply can't deal with both GPUs working so hard and thats feeding into the audio circuit? Try setting the render speed to 20% and see if it still happens.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Oscar Romero

PostThu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:(give more food to those hamsters....)

:lol:

LOOOOOLLLL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michael McReynolds

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Hamsters yes.
I've trouble shot and I'm sure it's not explicitly Resolve, but CUDA in general. The hamsters start running when I'm running Octane too. Then I tried an old game I had and it made noise as well. So I'm guessing it's a grounding issue.

I have a separate power supply running the 2 cards. I wonder if there is some feedback running back through the wires and affecting the speakers somehow. Prepping to run speakers of different circuit.
Michael McReynolds
Atlanta, GA
itaki.com
vimeo.com/user2075203/

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Michael McReynolds wrote:Hamsters yes.
I've trouble shot and I'm sure it's not explicitly Resolve, but CUDA in general. The hamsters start running when I'm running Octane too. Then I tried an old game I had and it made noise as well. So I'm guessing it's a grounding issue.

I have a separate power supply running the 2 cards. I wonder if there is some feedback running back through the wires and affecting the speakers somehow. Prepping to run speakers of different circuit.

Is it like a Humm? Can you check if all the grounds are well connected inside the machine/power supply and such?

I had a crazy sound coming out of a room when the two power supply where good but the ground had a differential that was creeping in one of the amplifier creating a return hiss/hhumm...

(or it just the hamster...)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Michael McReynolds

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 8:23 pm

It's not a hum. It's literally like static/poppy white noise, but in synchronicity with the graphics processing. Having done more research I've found that even if I move, say, my browser window around real fast, it will make real quiet static. The more intense graphics work the louder the speakers. When I render really heavy stuff through Octane (so heavy the GPU fans kick on, which they never do in Resolve) it sounds like static bullets being fired. So weird.
Michael McReynolds
Atlanta, GA
itaki.com
vimeo.com/user2075203/

Daniel.l

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 2:20 am

I know this thread is a decade old, but I found it in my quest to solve the same problem: any time I'd render in Resolve my speakers would buzz with pink/white noise. I marked this thread and continued on my quest until I found my answer: I needed balanced audio cables to the speakers.

Now, I don't know if OP was using external speakers and if so, how they were hooked up, but to anyone who finds this thread in the future, I wanted to post a possible resolution.

My setup:

- Windows 11, 32GB RAM
- Ryzen 5700G (not using onboard graphics)
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 TI
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 connected via USB
- Monster Power Pro 9000 PowerCenter
- Seasonic Focus GM-550, 550W 80+ Gold Power supply
- KRK Rokit monitors

The monitors were connected via 15' unbalanced 1/4" TS cables. I would notice a light hum/buzz at various times, not just when using Resolve, and before my tinnitus was bad, I could hear them start to hum when I turned my monitor on. I swapped the cable out for 15' Balanced TRS 1/4" cables and all noise disappeared.

To understand why, read up on the difference between balanced and unbalanced cables.
Daniel L
<><
Computer Programmer
Amateur Audio Engineer

Return to Post Production