UltraStudio Mini Recorder not working

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

livestreamaustralia

UltraStudio Mini Recorder not working

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm

The UltraStudio Mini Recorder is not working on my Macbook Pro Retina. I have purchased two of the Mini Recorders and both will not pass through the video.
I have removed all the BlackMagic software and preferences and reinstalled fresh. I sent one UltraStudio Mini Recorder back to the distributor and they said it worked fine on their Macbook Pro.
I have a H.264 Pro encoder, a ATEM TVS and a Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt - they all work fine. The Thunderbolt cable is working perfectly with the Intensity Shuttle. I have adjusted all the settings but no signal will come through. The system recognises the UltraStudio Mini Recorder but will not pass through the signal.
I have tried several cameras and other inputs.
Please help!!!

virtualmagician

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder not working

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Same here... Please fix this ASAP !
Uninstalled, reinstalled... tried all settings. No input.
Target was : HDMI 1080i from a consumer camera.
Bummer :cry:

Fletcher Yeung

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi,

Am having the same issue was well. I'm using a Canon C100 HDMI output to mini-recorder to MBPr. All settings are set to HDMI via system preferences, and am not getting a picture via media express. I've tried FCP7 and am just getting audio to come through, but still no picture (I've checked all my HD settings and they are correct).
I've also used a BM HDMI to SDI converter, and changed all the preferences to SDI and still not getting anything from the mini-recorder. I've attached both HDMI and SDI cables to my Small HD monitor and both show picture. So I'm definite that it has something to do with the mini-recorder not taking in a signal or my configuration is wrong. Is there another way to get to work/ am I doing something wrong?
I have tried a Matrox MX02-mini to thunderbolt, and I can get that working in FCP7.....

Any info?
Thanks!

hifistud

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 am

This would appear not to be isolated - in another thread there are at least three folks with at least 5 of thse all doing (or not doing) the same thing.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2801 applies

Time for BMD to own up and own it.
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

livestreamaustralia

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 am

It appears their is an issue with Mountain Lion - specifically 10.8.2. I was told that my returned equipment was functioning perfectly and had it returned. Turns out it wasn't tested on the latest software.
What is everyone else's OS number?

hifistud

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 3:30 pm

10.8.2, 16GB ion an i7 iMac

They seem to be the only variables...

Perhaps everyone affected could post their spec, try to narrow this down a bit. There's obviously a problem, but sorting out where it lies is a pain in the rear end.
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

Fletcher Yeung

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Mac OsX 10.8.2, 16GB Ram, 512SSD on a MBPr..... And do not have another machine with thunderbolt to test unfortunately....

livestreamaustralia

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 am

10.8.2 Macbook Pro Retina 16gb RAM

livestreamaustralia

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 am

10.8.2 Macbook Pro Retina 16gb RAM

Fletcher Yeung

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am

Just a quick post, it is a fault with the mini-recorder (in my opinion), as my BMCC works perfectly via thunderbolt...just can't get my mini-recorder to work!!!

hifistud

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Hmmm... All i7, all 16GB - and yet BMD's UK support team has run one of my "rejects" on an iMac, i5 4GB - wondering whether it's the RAM or the processor?

My money's on the RAM
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

livestreamaustralia

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Just a quick post, it is a fault with the mini-recorder (in my opinion), as my BMCC works perfectly via thunderbolt...just can't get my mini-recorder to work!!!

The Mini Recorder seems to work fine on a Mac with previous versions of OSX. Just doesn't work with 10.8.2, so appears it is a software glitch which will no doubt be rectified by a new BM software update.

hifistud

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 am

Not running on 10.7.4, either...
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

livestreamaustralia

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 am

So many reports that the unit does not work and no response from Blackmagic - C'mon!

MrEric

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 5:58 am

Hello, new registration here to report what sounds like the same issue.

Pre-ordered the Mini Recorder from B&H and when it arrived I've had no luck with getting it to capture HDMI. I've tried trying to capture computers (They don't recognize that there is an "external monitor" connected, so I'm unable to even select a resolution at this point), and I've tried fixed resolution cameras and devices over HDMI - All of which work with the BM Intensity Pro with no problems. I don't have any SDI devices to test it with.

I've made sure that the Mini Recorder is set for HDMI in the settings, and that correct resolution is set in Media Express for the devices that do have fixed resolutions and refresh rates.

I've tried it on a 15" rMBP (i7 16GB) with 10.8.2 and Desktop Video 9.6.8 with no luck. I've also tried it on a mid-2011 MacBook Air (i7 4GB) with 10.8.2 and the same Desktop Video version, no luck either. I've tried two different Thunderbolt cables, and different HDMI cables, still nothing.

I did run the firmware update for the Mini Recorder and rebooted upon installing Desktop video for the first time.

I've emailed BM's support and haven't gotten a response in 4, going on 5 business days (Checked spam and didn't see anything in there either). I'm unable to call as they seem to have pretty limited US support hours outside of normal business hours.

At this point I'm just hedging my bets and have already gotten my RMA number and shipping label from B&H, if I don't hear anything from BM by this weekend it's getting sent back Monday.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 am

Hi,

Thanks for the report. We're already looking into this issue and anticipate a fix next week.

MrEric

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 am

Thank you Kristian, please do keep us posted!

dbis

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 1:05 am

Until today I'd only tested my Mini connected to my MBPr 16GB RAM, 10.8.2...HOWEVER, I've now tested several other configurations with identical (bad) results.

Just connected it to a Feb 2011, 15" MBP running 10.7.5 with 9.6.8...no cigar
Also tested it on same Feb 2011 15" MBP running 10.7.5 with 9.6.6...no cigar

BM *ucked this up and they need to own it.

hifistud

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 1:38 pm

I suspect that testing may not be rigorous enough - patently, the new Retina Macbooks and top end iMacs have problems with this kit - should have been caught before release....
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

AndyA

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Another one here. Retina i7 MBP with 8Gb RAM. Everything claims to be working but I'm getting black instead of video. Looking forward to that fix :)

hifistud

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 am

any progress on this as yet?
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

rynek

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 2:50 am

Just to help with system specs, as mine is not working either... 2011, 15" MBP, 2Ghz Intel i7, OSX 10.8.2, 16gb Ram. Pre-order from B&H.

austingrierlutz

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro....not working on Final Cut X or Media Express :/

nausus

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 pm

I have a same problem with Mini Recorder. No chance to get HDMI signal. (MacBookPro 15 retina 2.3 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM)

BUT!

Even I was not able to get the signal from my CANON 550D or Panasonic GH2 - I found one source which WORKS!! It is strange, but from my iPad2 with AV output connector (including HDMI) I got a nice live stream with setting "720p 60".

I had chance to test SDI input as well and it works fine for Panasonic P2 and ICONIX RH1. So no problem with SDI inputs at all.

Please, can anyone with problem with HDMI test connection with iPad as well, so we can compare? What I feel as problem is that Mini Recorder don't "communicate" with connected HDMI devices. So if I try to connect for example my CANON 550D it even don't "switch the screen" as when I connect it to HDMI plasma. So because camera doesn't recognize that is something connected it doesn't even send any output to HDMI. (and because iPad maybe don't try to establish any two way communication and just "feed" connected HDMI" - it works). I read on this forum some post describing, that Mini Recorder connected to computer output (for example HDMI from MacBook) is not recognized as new "monitor". And because I have same experience with this, it gives me this idea of "no communication from the side of Mini Recorder".

My next try will be to skip this possible disadvantage with GEFEN HDMI Detective Plus (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005). Device which simulate EDID of connected device. So I will connect my CANON to Detective (camera will probably recognize it as "some useful output" and will start to output signal thru HDMI) and then from Detective via HDMI to Mini Recorder. I have ordered it last week, so next week I will have a chance to give a real try. And I will write there, if it helps or not.

Or maybe BMD guys will produce some new firmware or software update before that (I will prefer this solution)

wemediaproject

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 7:52 am

Ok my specs:
OS 10.8.2
2.5 i5 4gb

My UltraStudio Mini Recorder worked (using SDI) after installing the Media Express software 3.2 (Desktop Video) from the disk in the package.

Then I connected my new Atem 1me and installed the Atem software and updated my Atem firmware via USB.

After that my UltraStudio Mini Recorder stopped showing up in Media Express. So I uninstalled my Atem software which uninstalled Media Expresse and then I reinstalled from the Desktop Video from the UltraStudio Mini Recorder supplied CD and the Mini recorder worked again.

I hope this helps. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the time to see if I can get the ATEM 1ME working with out the mini recorder failing.

Best,
Jeff

Dandu

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 am

Same problem here : it works only with my iPad 3 and the HDMI cable, and i have no image with other peripheral. I have tested with a PC, a Mac, a smartphone, etc.

nausus

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 am

Hi Jeff

Have you tried any HDMI inpus as well?

Lukas

wemediaproject wrote:Ok my specs:
OS 10.8.2
2.5 i5 4gb

My UltraStudio Mini Recorder worked (using SDI) after installing the Media Express software 3.2 (Desktop Video) from the disk in the package.

Then I connected my new Atem 1me and installed the Atem software and updated my Atem firmware via USB.

After that my UltraStudio Mini Recorder stopped showing up in Media Express. So I uninstalled my Atem software which uninstalled Media Expresse and then I reinstalled from the Desktop Video from the UltraStudio Mini Recorder supplied CD and the Mini recorder worked again.

I hope this helps. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the time to see if I can get the ATEM 1ME working with out the mini recorder failing.

Best,
Jeff

wemediaproject

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 11:50 pm

So I can confirm that HDMI does not work! The Blackmagic Media Express sees the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder with the check mark next to it, but there's no image passing through..

SDI works HDMI doesn't, from the same camera, but different ports. FYI my HDMI TV does show video images from my camera's HDMI port.

Should I return this or wait for a firmware update?

nausus

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am

Hi wemediaproject

Please, can you try HDMI output from iPad? We found it as only one working HDMI inputs for MiniRecorder. And maybe if we prove this information from many users, it can "guide" BMD support team to find a way to repair it more quickly.

Thank you for you reply
Lukas

wemediaproject wrote:So I can confirm that HDMI does not work! The Blackmagic Media Express sees the Ultra Studio Mini Recorder with the check mark next to it, but there's no image passing through..

SDI works HDMI doesn't, from the same camera, but different ports. FYI my HDMI TV does show video images from my camera's HDMI port.

Should I return this or wait for a firmware update?

wemediaproject

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 1:29 am

So the reason why the Ultrastudio MIni Recorder didn't work AFTER installing the ATEM 1 ME software from Blackmagic's website is because the ATEM1 Software rolls back Media Express to 3.1.2 and 3.2 is need for the mini recorder to work.

I do not have an iPad so I can not try the HDMI port.

Littledog

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 5:40 am

3 pages deep and still BM say nothing, pretty poor show.

dbis

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 9:04 pm

There are several threads going on this forum about this issue and I'm not going to take time to post links to all here. What I can say is, there is a post from a BM employee, on here in at least one of the threads confirming they ARE aware that there IS INDEED an issue and they've stated that a fix is imminent via an update to the Desktop Video drivers (they said the end of this past week which obviously didn't happen).

I can confirm that I'm one of the "few that have returned their Mini Recorders under RMA" along with HiFiStud who's also a user on this forum. I sent my first one back, received a 2nd one that works exactly like the first.

I've since talked to BM technical support in the USA and the person confirmed that BM does indeed acknowledge that there's an issue and that they expect to fix it via an update to Desktop Video drivers.

To me its clear that they're working on a fix. I wish they'd delivered it yesterday but I will say I read and was told that they "hoped" to deliver the solution this past week.

I wished they'd been more transparent upfront (it took them about 3 weeks to acknowledge this issue) and I wish their QC was better before they start shipping new products (this is def not the 1st BM product to ship with issues) but they've "owned it" at this point and are working to fix it.

hifistud

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 am

It would be comforting if the techy bods would at least post in here to either elicit more info, or just reassure us that they've found the bug and are coding the new driver to fix it, and let us know what was causing the issue. A kind of "We're nearly there guys - give us three more days and you'll have the new driver - turns out the flux capacitor was two dilithium crystals short of a plasma surge" - that sort of thing
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

jasonbh2

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 2:50 pm

HDMI not working for me either. MBP 13" i5 8GB 128GB SSD OSX 10.7.5 Media Express v3.2
Trying to stream from a consumer Panasonic HDC-HS900 camera. Have tried 480P through 1080P. Can't get Audio or Video to work. Don't have anything to test SDI.

Littledog

PostSun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

dbis wrote:There are several threads going on this forum about this issue and I'm not going to take time to post links to all here. What I can say is, there is a post from a BM employee, on here in at least one of the threads confirming they ARE aware that there IS INDEED an issue and they've stated that a fix is imminent via an update to the Desktop Video drivers (they said the end of this past week which obviously didn't happen).

<snip>

I think you're being very generous dbis, BM seem to pride themselves on saying they don't read this forum, a fact that has actually been mentioned to a couple of people here. Look how many threads here go unanswered by BM, and I think you'll find your answer.

hifistud

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 3:59 pm

I know they're pprobably sound asleep as I type this, but PLEASE, BM - an update as to how things are going would be very useful...

No, seriously... here am I, hours and hours later - must be lunchtime in Oz by now... still nuffink...
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

sbeck

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 3:24 am

I have 17" early MBP early 2011 with 8GB ram
I cannot get the Mini recorder to work with HD-SDI or with HDMI to capture in Media Express.

Waiting to hear about status update or for new drivers. I seem to have the same issue as many. I have a H264 pro recorder that has worked with this notebook.

I just got my unit last week and tried it for the first time and was surprised because this is a simple unit to operate. I was chasing my tail for an hour before I decided to read the the forum and it appears I am not alone here...

nicolasdanse

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 5:22 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the report. We're already looking into this issue and anticipate a fix next week.

Has anyone heard of BM since this last post? The fix has yet to come. I was going to return the product but I held on to it - anticipating a fix. One more day without an update from BM and I'm shipping it back.

I don't get how the product can still be on the shelves when HDMI capture does not work.

Matt Dowling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you guys are having.

We have been looking into this issue for the past week and it appears to be a compatibility issue with some HDMI sources EDID.

So currently some HDMI signals will work and some will not. That's why some people are not seeing the problem, and others are.

We have a new build in QA now and are aiming to release this in the next couple of days which should increase compatibility with more devices that are not currently working.

We appreciate your patience.

-Matt

hifistud

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 am

Matt Dowling wrote:Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you guys are having.

We have been looking into this issue for the past week and it appears to be a compatibility issue with some HDMI sources EDID.

So currently some HDMI signals will work and some will not. That's why some people are not seeing the problem, and others are.

Would these be the very same sources that work without issue when attached to, say, an Intensity Extreme, and have done since the Extreme came out? It seems a strange notion, frankly...

We have a new build in QA now and are aiming to release this in the next couple of days which should increase compatibility with more devices that are not currently working.

We appreciate your patience.

-Matt

I may be a tad naive, but HDMI is a standard, no? And, in every other bit of HDMI kit I've got, everything plugs into everything else and just works - this really ought to be that easy.
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

AndyA

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks for the update Matt.

Can you comment please on whether it's anticipated that after this fix Ultrastudio will work with any sane HDMI source - or is it likely that some devices will still not work?

sgancz

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 pm

I bought recently a Blackmagic mini recorder capture device, with thunderbolt

And as everybody complaining here, my device is not working
My MBP is also 2.7Ghz, i7core , and 16 G RAM,early 2011
I bought Thunderbolt cable from apple, and tried SDI connectors, from a medical device
Seems that the issue was not solved, because i had no image from the device

AndyA

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

The expectation is that SDI should be working. In fact I used an Ultrastudio Mini to capture and stream from SDI this afternoon. The same box doesn't currently work with HDMI - pending the promised fix - but SDI is no problem.

eisbaer

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Bought a UltraStudio Mini Recorder Today.

Installed new downloaded Software, switched to HDMI Input in the System Settings Desktop Utility and I get no signal over HDMI (I have no SDI Device). Black Magic Express shows no Remote...(is this the indicator that no Input Signal is detected???) . I can start capture but capture only black frames.
Tested with a Canon 7D, a Canon 5D Mark III and a Panasonic GX-1.

System is Mac Book Pro Retina 15 Zoll. 2.6Ghz, 512 GB at 10.8.2

Return or wait for fix?

Thanks
Frank
eXtreme visual media
digital imaging consulting & workshops
http://www.xvm.de

revelator

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 12:06 pm

same here

mini recorder is not shown als a monitor using hdmi out of a computer

sdi and hdmi work with our hxr-nx5e (all possible resolutions combinations)
hdmi works on the new apple tv (720p 60)

all other hdmi sources don't work at all (eos 60d, panasonic hdv-sd707, gopro hero 2 tested two devices, div mac pros via display port to hdmi adapter and win7 boxes right out of hdmi (no external monitor found so no possibility of chancing resolutions))

macbook pro (no retina)

Prozessor 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
Speicher 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Grafikkarte NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2

thanks

david

sbeck

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I can confirm that the unit is NOT working with HD-SDI or HDMI @ 720p 59.94 signal. The unit is recognized in media express and will capture. However, it is not passing video through on HDMI or HD-SDI.

bobegilbert

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 am

I found one setting that gives me video with my iPad mini with Lightning to HDMI setup.

If I select HD 720p 60 as the video configuration in either Media Express or Screenflow, I get video. I need to record a video of a application running on the iPad and was hoping to get the native 1024x768 video that is being output.

I cannot figure out how to get FCP X to recognize the Mini Recorder as an input device. I also want to mention that I am getting intermittent errors in Media Express saying that a device is not found. If I unplug/replug in the Thunderbolt cable, it is detected.

My setup is very new (early Christmas present this evening)

iMac 27" 3.4 Ghz i7
Mountain Lion 10.8.2
16GB RAM
3TB fusion drive

Rakesh_Nagar

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 7:17 am

Its hell when machine dont work I also have same issues I am first Indian to get it but?????Mini Recorder showing no signs of working.If someone can talk about that can we capture in FCP 7 ??????? or we have to
use Blackmagic software to use mini recorder????

Can we use Mini recorder use with Streambox Live ???????

Urgent

Rakesh nagar
HD cameraman India

hifistud

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 pm

There's a new driver up - 9.6.9 - I've had success with it. Worth a try.

Would have thought someone from Support would have been in here to tell everyone.
David Dorn
www.vapourtrails.tv

AndyA

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 pm

I've downloaded and installed the update. Unfortunately I'm still not getting anything on HDMI. I've tried Media Express and Wirecast. Both are known to work with SDI sources.

Currently testing with a Panasonic HDC-SD900.
Next

Return to Post Production