URGENT - 9.0.3 with blank database list

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ming Lu

URGENT - 9.0.3 with blank database list

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 12:52 pm

The system drive crashed for some reasons and now it comes back. But resolve cannot read any of its database anymore the list just blank. Anyone knows what is going on with it?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: URGENT - 9.0.3 with blank database list

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 10:46 pm

The Resolve database is normally kept on the system drive. Perhaps it was damaged by the system drive crash?

What did you have to do to the system drive to get it to come back?

Are you on a Windows, Mac or Linux system? Do you know what type of database you were using (PostgreSQL or DISK)?

If you open the Database Manager window, are there any databases present in the database list?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ming Lu

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 12:44 am

My Resolve is running on the Mac and the datebase is PostgreSQL. I reinstalled Resolve once and before that I have backup a folder named "8.4"...

More detail could be provided when I get to my studio. Thanks a lot with your help! :D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 pm

If you launch Resolve and open the Database Manager window, is the database list empty? If so, are you able to create a new database? You can test that by clicking the + icon in the lower left area of the Database Manager window. In the Create New Database window, leave everything as is, except the Label and DB Name areas. In those 2 areas, enter something simple, like test1, then click Create New Database.

If that works, that would prove that the PostgreSQL database app is running.

If you get a "can't connect" error, that could mean that PostgreSQL is not running. In that case exit Resolve, then go to your Mac Applications folder, and open the PostgreSQL 8.4 folder and run the Start Server app, and see what happens. If it says it has started OK, then launch Resolve and go back into the Database Manager, and see if any databases are listed. If not, try to create a new database again, and see if that works.

If, when you run the Start Server app, you get an error message, grab a screen shot of that, and post it here, or send it to davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com
Dwaine Maggart

Alexandre Sadowsky

Re: URGENT - 9.0.4 with blank database list

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem on 9.0.4.
After rebooting the Mac, I cannot access to my PostgreSQL database. It seems that it can't launch.
When I open the PostgreSQL 8.4 folder and run the Start Server app, I have an error message saying :
"data directory "/Library/PostgrSQL/8.4/data" has wrong ownership
The server must be started by the user that owns the data directory.
.could not start the server

I am logged as the admin user and never had this problem before.
I have repaired the disk permissions but still no change.
I know that I can now work on local database but I still need to access to this on as I still have heavy works on progess on it…
What can I do ? How can I correct the ownership rights ?
Or is there another way to restore the users and projects in order to archive them and load them on local db ?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
PostgreSQL.png
Error message
PostgreSQL.png (31.32 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Resolve 18.6.2 - Ventura 13.4 - Mac Studio M2 Ultra - 192 Go Ram - Decklink MiniMonitor 4K - BM Mini Panel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 11:12 pm

You can't mess with the permissions and ownership of the files in the /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data directory. This stuff is VERY picky, and if ANYTHING (Other than PostgreSQL) messes with anything in the data directory, it's going to break the database.

If you have not previously backed up the database, using the database backup command in the Resolve Database Manager, there is no good or easy way to fix this.

Please contact us at davincihelp (AT) blackmagicdesign (DOT) com to discuss this further. Please reference this thread in the email.
Dwaine Maggart

theShader

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 3:24 am

I have a similar problem. A few weeks ago, I had color corrected a couple of clips. And today, after a few weeks, I tried to open those files, but I get an ERROR message, saying that I can't connect to the database and I should check the database log (but I don't know where).
After trying a few times, I decided to simply create a new database, since I hadn't done a lot of work. But now again, I can't connect to the new database, even though I'm sure all login data is correct.
Thanks for your time.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Are you using a DISK database, or a PostgreSQL database? In the Resolve Database Manager window, there is a list of current databases. In the Remarks column, it will say DISK if it is a DISK database.

Are you saying that if you highlight a database in the list of databases in the Database Manager window, and then click the menu icon in the upper right and select Connect, that it does not connect? If it doesn't connect, what does it do when you select Connect?
Dwaine Maggart

Return to Post Production