Decklink Extreme 4k A & B SDI input ?'s

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Greg Willhite

Decklink Extreme 4k A & B SDI input ?'s

PostMon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 pm

New to here and BlackMagic products in general, so maybe I am missing something simple, heck I could even be posting in the wrong forum for my question.

As stated above I purchased a Decklink Extreme 4K. What I wanted to accomplish is to hook my two Panasonic AW-HE120 SDI cameras to this card. I can get the camera hooked to the "A" input to display but I don't see anywhere to switch to the camera on the "B" input. I have tried using the media express software that came with the card, and I have also tried using my Wirecast 6 software. The Wirecast 6 software seem to know that there could be multiple inputs as it names the "A" input camera as "_1".

I have also tried just disconnecting the "A" input camera and just having the "B" input camera hooked up but when I do that nothing shows up.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise, on a HP system i7-4790 3.6Ghz. 16GB Memory, SSD HD. I think I have the most recent drivers and software for the BlackMagic stuff. Media Express 3.3.2, Desktop Video 10.3.1,

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Greg Willhite

JPOwens

Re: Decklink Extreme 4k A & B SDI input ?'s

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Greg Willhite wrote:I can get the camera hooked to the "A" input to display but I don't see anywhere to switch to the camera on the "B" input.

No, these cards are not intended to be switchers.

The "A" and "B" inputs are intended to be used as "Dual Link" inputs for high bandwidth HD-SDI sources like some cameras and HD decks (eg. Sony SRW-55/5800 SR) that have that capacity. One at a time.

jPo

Greg Willhite

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Ok, so I guess I missunderstood the inputs and what they do. What is my solution then?

Do I get and Ultra Studio SDI, and then plug that into the USB 3?

With that set-up I would run the 1 Panasonic AW-HE120 SDI camera into the Intensity Extreme SDI "A" input, and the 2nd camera into the Ultra Studio SDI.

Would I then be able to access both cameras from Wirecast?

Given that I already have the Intensity Extreme, is there something other than the above that would allow me to have access to both cameras without going to an external switch? Basically I need to see both cameras with the Wirecast application.

Thanks,
Greg

Adam Simmons

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Well the Decklink Duo has 2 SDI input's or the Decklink quad which has 4 SDI inputs. As to the USB 3 devices you need to make sure they'll work with your USB 3 controller
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Greg Willhite

PostWed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I don't think the Duo or Quad will work, as I also need the XLR audio input, hence the reason we decided to go with the Extreme, as it appeared to have the 2 video along with the XLR. I think I will have to give the USB 3 a shot.

Greg

Return to Post Production