Teranex 2D analog audio question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Bob Zajko

Teranex 2D analog audio question

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 am

Can the Teranex 2D converter "map" any of the 16 embedded channels to come out of analog 1 and 2 on the DB25? So that I can use it as a 16 channel de-embedder for monitoring audio on other equipment?

I'm asking because I'm disappointed that I can't hear the BMD Audio Monitor in my (noisy) sat truck, and it has no option for 2 XLR outputs to connect external powered speakers.

Colin Barrett

Re: Teranex 2D analog audio question

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm in the process of setting this up, actually! The theory is that you can map any connection to external input or output. I've just acquired a DB25 Snake with 8 XLR connections and looking at the BM user guide (downloadable from the Support section) it indicates that I should be OK. I've had an initial rummage through the Teranex's settings and it seems straightforward enough. It's also possible to assign labels to each of the connections, too.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Colin Barrett

Re: Teranex 2D analog audio question

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 11:28 am

It's not as easy as it might fist appear. Mapping the inputs and outputs seems such a long-winded process (not to mention potentially expensive) and I haven't yet obtained a workable mapping solution. I'd like to suggest to Blackmagic that the next generation Teranex 2D has at the very least a 2 x RCA Phono audio output that can be used as a "confidence monitor output" if nothing else. Two XLRs would be even better!!

The lack of a built-in stereo analogue audio output does seem an odd omission - especially since I won't be investing in a 3D simply to acquire this facility.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Post Production