Is a Monitoring Interface Required?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

xIanBx

Is a Monitoring Interface Required?

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 am

I posted this in another forum but didn't get a response. I thought this might be a more appropriate spot for it.

I'm new to the post end of things, so please forgive my ignorance.

I've ordered a Blackmagic Cinema Camera and plan to shoot, edit, and mix some of my own narrative work.

If I'm editing on the new 2012 iMacs that includes a Thunderbolt out, do I still require a converter or studio monitor like the mini-monitor or the HDlink? I can't find anything on the BM website that clearly articulates why these devices are needed.

In other words, can I simply feed a video signal out from FCP X or Premier Pro to my Panasonic plasma over TB/HDMI without a go-between interface? What does the interface do to the signal?

Can I also not send a 5.1 audio signal out over TB/HDMI directly into my Onkyo THX 7.1 AV receiver in order to monitor a 5.1 mix out of Logic or Adobe Audition?

If an interface is in fact required, what would be the best Blackmagic product for facilitating the output of both an HD video signal to a plasma TV and audio signals to an Onkyo receiver for 5.1 monitoring?

Thank you.

Return to Post Production