Using Mattes

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mikey Piliero

Using Mattes

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 am

So I found this tutorial on vimeo about how to add noise to your footage right in Davinci using it as a matte.

Here's the video link:

Cool video, very helpful, but I wanted to do more with it.Is it possible to have a matte (let's just say a noise matte so it relates), and use the HSL Qualifier on the highlights of an image I'm working with, so that the noise only appears in the highlights of the image?

I'm currently trying to do this with a color matte combined with a Layer Node set to Multiply. The color lays over the image correctly, but I want the color to only show up in the shadows and midtones. Using the HSL Qualifier on the image node only affects the properties on that node, so the color stays the same. Using the Qualifier on the color matte only selects the color of that particular matte... so it does nothing.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this effect would be greatly appreciated.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

Re: Using Mattes

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 am

Hey, i actually did something very similar and in this example i was using a solid colour imported as a matte and then using a luma key to only apply it to highlights (and blurring it too). This would do basically what you're asking, can't say it's the *best* way but it works for me.

Also, when adding noise like the tutorial vid (or colour in this example) i did/do it on the track node window rather than clip so that it applies to all clips in the timeline and i don't have to create it for each clip. From memory the tutorial shows it done to a single clip.

In this image you can see "node 6" has the luma key and i'm outputting the key/mask/matte (blue triangles) into "node 4" so it controls where the colour (or noise if you want) gets applied in the overlay/multiply/whatever layer mixer.

Hope it helps!

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Mikey Piliero

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 pm

CaptainHook you rule! Thank you so much. I'm vacationing at the moment so I won't be able to try it out until I get back, but thank you for making this so easy to follow.

Two more questions real quick. I'm not fully understanding your track node method where it applies to all the clips instead of just one.
Also the only method I could figure getting a color matte into DaVinci is converting a solid color into a video format. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm

I only use this for the timeline track when i want the effect to apply to all clips.. for example adding noise/grain etc it's generally something i want on all clips, so in the node window i'll change from "clip" to "track" (top right) and make the nodes there (i actually have this saved as a powergrade).

Resolve can import a still image like a tiff so i just exported a 1080p solid color from photoshop as a tiff and can load it as an external matte fine. I think it's just image sequences that resolve wont use (unless thats changed in 9.0.4).
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Mikey Piliero

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Awesome. Didn't realize Resolve was able to import tiff files.

Captain, your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 am

No worries. :)

Return to Post Production