DCDM files, with the Resolve9 (Mac).

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Terje

DCDM files, with the Resolve9 (Mac).

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 am

Hi

I need to make some DCDM files for a feature film, with the Resolve9 (Mac).
(From: Digital Source Master DPX 10Bit RGB. To: Digital Cinema Distribution Master. 16Bit Tiff files).

I can see that Resolve has the LUTs: DCDM and P3DCI in the Project settings tab, under Look Up Table, Output Device Transform (When the Master Project Settings is set to: DaVinci ACES).
And under Nodes i find: P3 to DCI XYZ or Rec709 to DCI XYZ.

If I understand correct, these two options will work correctly only when my grading colorspace is set to be Rec.709 or P3.

So here is my problem:
Our grading suite (Resolve Linux) is set up with the projector showing 2,6 gamma. The colorspace is set to: YRGB. We render out DPX RGB Fullrange.
So, I can`t really use the Rec.709 settings, because that is 2,35 gamma.
Or is it?
Some operate with Rec.709 gamma settings set to 2,35 (EBU). Others use 2,4 gamma (In the USA, if I understand correct).
Witch one of 2,35 and 2,4 does resolve support?

I know that P3 has 2,6 gamma, but P3 has its own colorspace. We have DPX renders made in DaVinci YRGB (with 2,6 gamma) so I guess we cannot use the P3 LUT ?

When I want to render ut material, including the selected LUT. Does It make any difference if I ad the LUT in:
The Project settings tab, under Look Up Table, Output Device Transform (When the Master Project Settings is set to: DaVinci ACES).
or:
In the Colorpage, on a Node, 3DLUT, CineSpace, P3 to DCI XYZ or Rec709 to DCI XYZ (Can be done in DaVinci YRGB colorspace and DaVinci ACES) ?

The two different places to add LUTs confuses me a bit..
Is one meant for output, and the other for preview output ?

regards, Terje

John Tissavary

Re: DCDM files, with the Resolve9 (Mac).

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 3:10 pm

What projector are you using, and if it's a proper DCI projector, is it in its native colorspace (P3), or did you specifically set it to something else?

XYZ is a 'container' colorspace with theoretical primaries (not specific ones, like Rec709 or P3). P3 is the native colorspace of DCI projectors. You shouldn't have to do the conversion in Resolve, all the DCP encoding systems I've used (software or hardware) already have conversion matrices built in. You just have to choose the correct input transform matrix based on what colorspace you were monitoring in.

JT

Edit: if you graded in yrgb colorspace then you cannot just switch to the ACES setting. You have to grade in that space to make it work as it utilizes camera input transforms to normalize the image into ACES colorspace.

In resolve's YRGB space you would apply P3 (or whatever) to XYZ as a '3D Output Lookup Table'

I encourage you to do some research on ACES, and give it a try in the future, but at this stage it is not an option.
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

Return to Post Production