Damaged DNG files - Error code -36 in Mac OS

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Miguel Barreda Delgado

Damaged DNG files - Error code -36 in Mac OS

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi,
I'm having trouble with damaged DMG files from my BM Cinema Camera (2,5K).
After shooting I made a backup on an external USB portable drive. After that I had to format the SSD card.
When I copied the backuped files from the USB disk to my hard disk the Finder couldn't complete the operation because of an I/O error (Code -36). There is only one folder I can't copy, all other folders on the USB disk are OK.
I imported that folder into Davinci Resolve and the RAW video file shows many empty spaces, about 1500 DNG files (from 17500 that contains that folder) seem to be damaged.
When I tried to open one of these files with Photoshop direct from the USB disk the application informed "Could not open the file because of a disk error".
I copied one of these files to my desktop (although error code -36), and it shows an horizontal black stripe in the middle of it.
Is there any way to recover / repair the damaged files?
Best regards.
Miguel Barreda Delgado
vía expresa Cine y Video SRL
Arequipa - Peru
https://www.facebook.com/viaexpresaSRL

ioaproductions

Re: Damaged DNG files - Error code -36 in Mac OS

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm having this issue now too. I've looked everywhere, and can't find any answers. It seems to act like dropped frames to me, although the frames are there, just corrupted and unable to open.

I realised this when transferring files from my Blackmagic approved SanDisk Extreme Pro 960gb ssd.
In total there seems not to be more than maybe 20-30 frames corrupted in total so far, out of over an hour of footage, maybe not the end of the world, since all of them are spread out apart from 2, but it worries me. What can be the fault? Can I still save the frames?

The camera used is the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, and it's not only the raw files that have some problems. One Prores HQ clip also had problems, crashing halfway through.

Many thanks to whoever can help!
Best wishes

Salliemosely

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Any luck on this guys? Were you able to use the footage without the dropped frames?

BeatrizAT

PostSat Mar 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Any news about this? Having similiar issues with some footage!

ioaproductions

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Nothing at all... Basically it's not reliable, regardless of how certified, fast, new, or properly formatted the SSDs are. Not sure if it's a software issue or not, but hoping someone at Blackmagic can address this and not just neglect their otherwise brilliant older cameras...

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 1:17 am

Must have been some problem with the storage or copy process, I can read DNG sequences both of an old Pocket HD or the UM46P just fine. It is advisable to use the Clone tool with checksums and always check the copies for readability before deleting the sources.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ioaproductions

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:14 pm

The sequence with corrupt dngs crashes resolve even if read directly from the SSD it was captured on, so it can't be a problem in the copying stage. I agree to use use checksums in general, but it doesn't solve the issue of the corrupt/dropped frames in the first place with perfectly fine and fast BM certified SSDs, or how to salvage those frames if at all possible...

To answer Salliemosely earlier, yes in the end it was fine and not noticeable in the end result! There were at most 4-5 dropped frames in a row, so I could copy the neighbouring frames, sort of lowering the frame rate but not noticeable luckily thanks to little action most of the time. It was just a ton of manual work going through thousands of frames and adding copies of neighbouring frames to make the chain readable in resolve. The corrupt prores file on that shoot could be salvaged by importing and rexporting it out in two separate clips from resolve, although without the scratch audio (just making it trickier to sync...)

On a later shoot, another normal ProRes 422 file got corrupted in the same way, making parts of it impossible to salvage. It was pretty long take, but could load into resolve (although they'd crash the programme if you tried scrolling past the corrupt sections, or playing the clip there). So if avoiding the corrupt sections I could export most of it into safe and usable files. Apart from corrupted parts that seem completely lost (luckily not an important sections at least...).

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 12:43 am

In that case, I suppose a serious problem with the card, the reader or even the camera. It's definitely not normal.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostMon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 am

-36 is an "I/O error," but that could be due to a lot of things... corrupted drive, permissions issue, bad cabling, drive too slow, etc.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production