Hackintosh configuration for Resolve 9

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Johannes

Hackintosh configuration for Resolve 9

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi, would this configuration work well with Resolve 9 in running the BMCC Raw material or would I need to upgrade anything from the list? Two graphics cards? More RAM? etc.?

2x Xeon E5620, each 4x 2,40 GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz / Triple-Channel ECC
ATI Radeon 5770 / 1024 MB
1TB 7200-rpm S-ATA 3GB/s
700 Watt PSU, 120 mm fan, 80+
Aluminium Midi Tower with 5 fans (black, anodized)
Mac OS X Lion

Ivan Tanaskovic

Re: Hackintosh configuration for Resolve 9

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Choose nvidia as gpu's, because cuda cores.. Gtx680 as example is good to go for cuda card and one cheaper for gui card..

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Get a gtx570 or gtx580 over the 6xx series as everything i've read says the 6xx series was optimized for gaming and that 5xx series is better for Cuda. I have a gtx580 (plus 550ti for display) in my Hackintosh and have no problems with realtime playback with red raw (or the raws John posted here) and 10 or so nodes etc. Renders were happening at about 35-40 fps.

You will need another graphics card for the display with Resolve, otherwise Resolve won't use the card for CUDA. I read elsewhere on this board that someone from Blackmagic said the 'display card' can be an ATI or non-cuda if that suits.

What motherboard are you getting? I recommend checking out the golden (or user) builds here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 11:25 pm

You can use a single graphics card for Resolve. Performance will just be less than if you had a separate GUI card. Resolve 9 has a new mode added to make single card performance better. The mode is in Project Settings / Master Project Settings / Video Monitoring / "Use optimized display mode during playback".

GTX6xx series cards will work if you are using Mountain Lion. I have not seen a head to head comparison with an equivalent GTX5xx card, so not sure which card would win under Mountain Lion. My gut feeling is not much difference. Would be cool if someone could do such a comparison.

Dwaine Maggart
DaVinci Product Support
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You can use a single graphics card for Resolve. Performance will just be less than if you had a separate GUI card. Resolve 9 has a new mode added to make single card performance better. The mode is in Project Settings / Master Project Settings / Video Monitoring / "Use optimized display mode during playback".

Thanks, didn't know about that! Will that make any difference if you ARE using two cards, or only if you're using one?

I would like to see a comparison with Resolve (or something similar) aswell.. many sites that have tested cards show things similar to the following (580 still being better than a 680) but yes maybe it wouldn't be that noticeable (although i dabble in a bit of 3D and other things that i think still give the advantage to the 580):

Taken from this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvid ... -review/17
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Return to Post Production