Decklink Card Overrides Media Composer Site Settings

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

David Goedhart

Decklink Card Overrides Media Composer Site Settings

PostThu May 21, 2015 7:09 pm

I am running into a strange problem where the Blackmagic Decklink Card overrides Media Composer "Media Creation" settings to "XAVC Intra 100 MXF".

I am at a facility built around a DNxHD 145 workflow. We want the Media Creation settings to be "DNxHD 145" by default so we are making them a "Site Setting". We open a new project, set the "Media Creation" settings accordingly, and click OK before dragging the "Media Creation" settings into the "Site_Settings" window. However, when we open the Media Creation settings again the "Media Resolution" has set itself to "XAVC Intra 100 MXF". I'll change the resolution back to "DNxHD 145", and click OK; but the Video Resoltuion is still set to "XAVC Intra 100 MXF". I've tried deleting the 4 site settings files from the C drive, creating new project, creating new users, reinstalling Media Composer, reinstalling Decklink, but the problem persists.

I called Avid Support and they determined the problem's cause is the Blackmagic Decklink Card. When we deactivate the Decklink (using "HW/SW Activation" button on the Media Composer Timeline) the "Media Creation" settings stay DNxHD 145. As soon as we activate the card, the settings go back to "XAVC Intra 100 MXF". Avid says that they can not help me since the problem is with the Blackmagic drivers which they do not manage. This is why I am reaching out to you guys.

Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas for a workaround are greatly appreciated.

DeckLink Studio 4K: Desktop Video Version 10.4
Avid Media Composer Version 8.2.3
HP Z820 desktop computer.

chris_meagher

Re: Decklink Card Overrides Media Composer Site Settings

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi David,

David Goedhart wrote:I am running into a strange problem where the Blackmagic Decklink Card overrides Media Composer "Media Creation" settings to "XAVC Intra 100 MXF".

Is this in all tabs in the media creation settings window or just the "capture" tab? When the HW is enabled are DNxHD resolutions available or have they been removed from the pulldown?

My understanding is that BM cards do not support DNxHD capture in Media Composer (Avid wants you to buy their branded products for that). This should not limit your options for the rest of the tabs in the Media Creation settings (Titles, Import, Render, etc.) or for playback of any resolution once the material is inside the Media Composer environment.

Best,
CMM

Return to Post Production