Media Express AVI clips have no audio in CS5 Premiere Pro

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

JB@CLC

Media Express AVI clips have no audio in CS5 Premiere Pro

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 pm

I have recorded some short clips in BMD Media Express. I have imported them into Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and made sure I used the uploaded BMD codec setting for the timeline output.

When I preview these files or drag these files into the timeline and hit play... the audio never plays out to the on board OEM sound card but I can SEE the audio levels bouncing up and down!!! I have changed every audio hardware setting I could find in Premiere Pro and in the System's device properties... yet I can not play back audio from the OEM sound card. I have checked all the updates in the various programs and restarted the machine several times.. still no audio from the OM sound card.

THE CRAZY THING IS that ONLY clips loaded into a BMD AVI codec based timeline cannot play back audio. It doesn't matter if its the BMD video file or a CD based music file... I cannot play back ANY audio I upload in a BMD codec based timeline. I can upload a song to any other timeline codec... just not a timeline that has been formatted to a BMD codec. So it seems to me that the problem is with the BMD codecs and CS5.

I called BMD and the tech told me that it could be due to CS5 not being completely Certified with the Decklink card. He suggested I try to get audio from the XLR output on the Decklink Extreme 3D capture card. So I tried this and the sound does output but I have to set up a real elaborate external audio reinforcement system to monitor the audio in this manner. It will require an external mixing board and some monitoring speakers or a home theater receiver and some bookshelf speakers. None of which I readily have.

So I am wondering.. has anyone been able to monitor the audio over typical desktop PC speakers? I find it REALLY hard to believe that I have to do a work around in this manner to hear the audio in these specific files.

JB@CLC

Re: Media Express AVI clips have no audio in CS5 Premiere Pr

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm a complete idiot... I adapted XLR to RCA... then used a RCA to 1/8 in. Y Adapter to input to the desktop speakers.

I was being dumb. A big dumb dummy.

Even though I have audio over the external speakers.. I still don't have a good way to monitor via headphones and have sound level control but it will work for now.

That is all.

Return to Post Production