Ultrascope and Pocketscope questions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Azuolas Sinkevicius

Ultrascope and Pocketscope questions

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 am

Hi,
1. Are there any plans to support Pocketscope USB3 device with MacBook Pro Retina 15 models which have both OpenGL2.1 GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 650M and native USB 3.0 interface?
2. If above won't be supported are there any plans to add thunderbolt driver compatibility with Ultrascope PCIe card on Mac OS X with Magma 3T chassis?

Thanks
MSW

DVCPRO50

Re: Ultrascope and Pocketscope questions

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I own a Pocket Ultrascope myself which has never been used thus far as USB3 drivers have never been created. I also have a Terranex 2D Processor which has Ultrascope via Thunderbolt which I have had working on my MacMini. It would be so nice if they would make it work on the USB3.0 clearly the Graphics can handle it on the MacMini.

Azuolas Sinkevicius

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Could anyone from Blackmagic chime in on this subject?

DVCPRO50

PostMon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 am

This is the forgotten device. Sometimes think that BMD are ignoring this subject in the hopes we will give up.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 pm

We're not ignoring it.

The answer simply hasn't changed. We would very much like to do USB3 drivers for the apple computers that support it. We don't have a set date, and until we do, Pocket Ultrascope will not work on the apple platform.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

clark5901

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for the nice post dear...
clark

RoggieRog

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Does the Pocketscope work on a Macbook Pro with USB3 ports and running Windows 7 via Parallels 8 or Bootcamp 5?

edusierra

PostTue May 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:We're not ignoring it.

The answer simply hasn't changed. We would very much like to do USB3 drivers for the apple computers that support it. We don't have a set date, and until we do, Pocket Ultrascope will not work on the apple platform.

please help us !!

dtich

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Hello. can we expect any kind of resolution to this issue anytime soon??:

my waveform is only showing a line on 0 and one at about -50mV. no matter what is displayed/fed to the input. all the other scopes seem to work correctly, although the delay is disconcerting. but that's a separate issue.

what can be the cause of this? i don't see any settings or adjustments to make here, and there's no mention in the manual i can see about scan lines or anything.

please help asap, thanks.

ps - this is us v1.6, mac os 10.7.2 on 2x2.66GHz 6core xeon macpro.. 12 GB RAM.

thanks!

ok... i just saw this little tiny 'note' at the bottom of the sys requirements:

Note: The synthesized composite video waveform is not available for Mac computers.

this i don't understand. i'm sure there's some good technical reason, but... what would that be exactly???

i will now have to return this card. how unuseful.

unless there is a plan for a firmware update to fix/change this so it works on macs???

anyone know. so far i have had no response from bmd support on this.

thanks.

Nick Shaw

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 am

dtich wrote:ok... i just saw this little tiny 'note' at the bottom of the sys requirements:

Note: The synthesized composite video waveform is not available for Mac computers.

But do you need a synthesised composite waveform? The ordinary waveform and parade work fine on OSX (AFAIK – I have my UltraScope in a PC) and standard def composite is less and less relevant these days.
Workflow Consultant, London UK
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

dtich

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 am

no, don't need composite anything, exclusively on 1080psf23.98 basically don't use anything else; i thought perhaps that was their way of saying waveform... my waveform does not display anything but a line at 0 and one at about -50mV. the parade and vscope and everything else work fine. (a big lag though, which is not good, do you have this? my scopes only update about once a second.)

there is no response from bmd or anyone to address this. the card is not worth it if i don't have a waveform...

thanks for the reply.

Nick Shaw

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 11:47 am

Synthesised composite means a luma waveform with a digitally simulated version of what the chroma sub-carrier on a composite signal would look like superimposed on it. If that option does not work on a Mac, I assume it is not available in the software. But if it is there have you made sure it is switched off?

As I say, I run my UltraScope on a PC, so have no experience of the OS X version. However I get real time updating of the scopes, and cannot imagine the OS X version should be any different. Updating once a second is unusable, so I think you definitely have something wrong there.

Do you have the card in the recommended slot? What other cards do you have in the machine which might be conflicting? You don't have a Decklink card in there too do you? As the support note says, "Blackmagic Ultrascope is not designed for use on systems which have a Blackmagic capture card installed."
Workflow Consultant, London UK
LUTs and LUT plugins
www.antlerpost.com

dtich

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 1:40 pm

right, no decklink card. i think the reco slot is 4.. have to check where it is. not sure that would make such a difference, but perhaps..

the waveform, well, i have no official response, so hard to judge.. i am referring to the basic waveform monitor display. luma only, full raster, no chroma subc info, etc. for me, the waveform scope itself does not display anything other than those two lines... something wrong. i have posted here and emailed support.

thanks a lot for your replies, i will check the slot.

the card is in a machine also running avid, but there is plenty of processor and memory to accommodate both apps. i'm very glad to hear the 1 second updating is not the norm on this....

thanks!

dtich

PostMon Jun 10, 2013 3:39 pm

update.........

updated to 10.7.4... like i should have been the whole time but another piece of software required me NOT to be past 7.2.... at any rate, NOW the card works.

so. all problems solved. updates in realtime, waveform works. wouldn't have thought the minor os update would make such a diff, but i guess there was an openGL thing in there or something....

thanks for the replies. and although i'd still like to have had some help from bmd, it is now sorted and i take back my ranting. user error, mostly.

corbingravely

PostWed Jan 08, 2014 6:51 am

You can run Ultrascope, connected to a BMCC, on a Retina MacBook Pro 13". For that you need to use something like QuickRes to provide you access non-standard resolutions, and specifically choose 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 if you are looking for the full 6-up display. Obviously it's not at full frame rate, still it is lot better than nothing.
EHR system

Return to Post Production