Good cheap receiver to use with Blackmagic playback devices?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Nathan Rosenquist

Good cheap receiver to use with Blackmagic playback devices?

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi there, our studio has an Ultrastudio Mini Monitor that we have connected to an Onkyo HT-R391 receiver via the HDMI out. Video works fine, but we've been having trouble for months getting the two to cooperate in outputting 5.1 audio. My initial research led to posts on this forum that suggested that the Mini Monitor did not work as advertised, and that only the SDI output did full 5.1 while the HDMI output actually only supported 2-channel audio. We huffed in defeat and kept running it stereo since none of our projects at the time were 5.1, but we now have a 5.1 project coming in next week and need a solution. After reading further about Blackmagic products I now understand that they only output Linear PCM (Rather than any sort of encoded audio like DTS), and that may be why our Onkyo isn't playing back correctly. The Onkyo's manual purports to work with multichannel PCM inputs, but in practice I can't get it to work and I'm guessing by "multichannel PCM" the manual means 2-channel PCM off a CD player and not 6-channel PCM over HDMI. It's an older model now, so this would make sense.

So, unless someone else here owns an Onkyo HT-R391 or similar and can tell me how to get it to play nice with the Mini Monitor, can you kind folks recommend a good receiver that plays very well with Blackmagic products right out of the box? Nothing too expensive please, as passing audio from the Mini Monitor to an HDTV is probably all it'll ever have to do.

Thanks!

NykFry

Re: Good cheap receiver to use with Blackmagic playback devi

PostWed May 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Same issues here. Yamaha didn't lock into more than 2 channels. Got a Denon receiver at BMD recommendation, which does better, but it merges LFE and Center into the sub = still useless. BMD don't seem to know which receivers will work with their stuff, so might just have to go to Grass Valley Spark for output, but what did you discover?

JPOwens

Re: Good cheap receiver to use with Blackmagic playback devi

PostFri May 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Eventually the HDMI embedded-audio problem will come home to roost -- my first dis-embedder solution was an HDLink device - feed the discrete analog 5.1 to L/R/C/Lfe/Ls/Rs inputs, which in my case was a Denon, which featured RCA mono inputs, so no issues with crosstalk.

Will follow this topic with interest.

jPo, CSI

Return to Post Production