Hyperdeck Studio Audio BUG

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Baz

Hyperdeck Studio Audio BUG

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 am

I created a Prores HQ file using a Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 with 4 channels of audio.
I then exported part of that file using FCP 7 in stereo as 2 channel audio onto an SSD and it played OK on my Hyperdeck Studio.

I then set the sequence to 4 channels of audio in FCP 7 to allow all 4 channels that was captured and NO audio played at all on the Hyperdeck Studio.

So while a Hyperdeck can capture 4 channels of audio and play back its own 4 channels of audio, it won't allow any other 4 channel audio to play.

This is a bug.

Solution - buy a MacBookPro with thunderbolt, buy a UltraStudio Express, buy a USB 3 Dock... and using Media Express it WILL play back all 4 audio channels as created in FCP 7 - tough work-around but I had to do it to get the job done.

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Elliott Balsley

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Audio BUG

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Maybe a bug, or maybe just a limitation. Check the file format very carefully regarding the audio format. When exporting multi-channel audio from FCP, there are several options. I suspect the problem might stem from channel arrangement: 2 stereo tracks vs 1 quadrophonic track vs 4 mono tracks. Also check bit depth, sample rate, and Endianness. Just make sure everything matches between your exported clip and the original clip. You can check all these things in Quicktime 7's info window.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Baz

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Well you see, here's the thing.... as I mentioned in my original post, I create a 2 channel audio file and it plays fine on my Hyperdeck Studio.

Then I simply change the FCP7 sequence settings to 4 audio channels and then NO audio playback on my Hyperdeck Studio.

So, to me, that seems to be an 'audio interleave' problem.

BTW - I have tried every possible audio export combination and nah dah! :roll:

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Elliott Balsley

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 1:43 am

When you say you set the sequence settings to 4 channels, you mean the number of outputs, right? On that audio outputs tab, there is also a setting for stereo vs. dual mono. And I would especially suggest playing with the audio configs on the sequence settings general tab (see screenshot).
Maybe you've already tried these things, but I'm just trying to be thorough. I know the channel grouped option is required for playback with an Aja KiPro. In any case, I hope BMD can chime in here with a definitive answer.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 5.26.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 5.26.19 PM.png (14.28 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Baz

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks for your input Elliott - yes I tried those options. I know when creating XDCAM HD disks these must be set to mono, so I thought the Hyperdeck may have also needed these settings but it was to no avail....

But yes, just changing the number of audio output channels in the sequence settings audio tab from 2 channels to 4 channels stops audio playback on the Hyperdeck. (both Shuttle and Studio)

The file plays just fine off a computer and as I said I am using a MacBookPro with a thunderbolt connected UltraStudio Express via Media express. But therein lies another problem as Media Express only edits to tape a complete file; meaning you can not mark an in/out point on the selected file and only edit that part to tape.
Thats where FCP7 is needed as not even FCPX can do that.

TAPE IS NOT YET DEAD FOLKS! - PLEASE KEEP SUPPORTING IT!!!

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Baz

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 am

As a follow-up to my original post I imported the 4 channel Hyperdeck file into FCPX, set it to 4 channel audio and exported part of the clip.
I then opened it in Media express and it played all 4 channels of audio but again the Hyperdeck FAILED to play any audio at all.

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

Return to Post Production