Resolve 9.1 XML problem

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ericparren

Resolve 9.1 XML problem

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi since I've update to Resolve 9.1 I have problem with XML after rendering process.
FCP7 crash when importing XML with FCP roundtrip, or simply tell me timecode problem or other problems...
I never had this before and make me in huge trouble with our clients!!!
I also see a gamma difference when I used 8bit or 10 bit monitoring???

What's wrong? Never had problems like that before!!! :o

We made a huge error by not backing up our database with previous version of resolve... So no way to come back with previous version. :cry:

Need urgent help !!!

ericparren

Re: Resolve 9.1 XML problem

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm

I just see that all of our project media have crazy FPS in our Media Pools......... :twisted:

Paulo M. de Andrade

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I had some pretty nasty issues with 9.1. But I was able to return to 9.0.4 and the project was compatible.
I experienced weird frame rate issues, too. My 29.97 footage appeared as 30 fps. I only noticed this after the show was rendered. Had to create a new project and color trace to make it work.

ericparren

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't know how you came back to 9.0.4 because the database was upgraded with the new version. Did you export projects and re-import it? I'have try to re-install 9.0.4 but with a nice message that the database version 9.1.0.50 was not compatible anymore with Resolve 9.0.4 !!!

For my problems all medias in media pool of all our projects has changed since the update with some crazy FPS like -29FPS or 11264FPS, yes crazy FPS !!!

The only solution I've found is to re-conform the projects and re-import the medias.
For short commercials it take just few long minutes to do and verifiy it but for our 2 features it will be soon a real nightmare and time consuming !!!

How it was possible to don't have seen those problems during the development or beta testing? ...

Really hope BlackMagic will give us soon a tips or beta version to solve it.
I cannot imagine to completely re-conform our features with lot of versions on each shots...

Paul Provost

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

It's a good idea to make database AND project backups of any long form projects and store them off site while you work on them.
It's a bad idea to upgrade software in the middle of a project.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

ericparren

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:50 pm

I know that Paul,

We have always projects on work so we cannot update with that point of vue, and why we don't have backup our database, because young people made mistakes sometimes. It's just huge to have that kind of problems with a software like that.

Error and problems is now past, we need to find solutions.

Regards

Paul Provost

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Well it just takes one situation like this to learn the lesson. That's how it was for me. Worked twelve hour days for a week to recover from a hard drive crash that I could have avoided with a ten minute backup!
Have you sent a backup of the bad project to davinci support? Sometimes they are able to help...

Ps I posted that comment so that others maybe will run and go backup their stuff right now.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

ericparren

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Paul,

We normally always do a backup before doing an update, it's just a young guy that forgot to do that before upgrading our systems...

I also learn that in the past when I was starting to grade, but my trainee forget the basis. :cry:

I've just send a support request to explain the all things.

Regards,

Paulo M. de Andrade

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

ericparren wrote:I don't know how you came back to 9.0.4 because the database was upgraded with the new version. Did you export projects and re-import it?

I'm on Disk.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 am

Eric, we will look into the 9.1 xml issue but in the meantime, try exporting your projects from your v9.1 system, then install 9.0.4 and using a disk database import the project to see if your timecodes are as you expect.

Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ericparren

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Peter,

I'll test your tips soon. It's finally not an XML problem, the XML made error or crash FCP7 because of crazy FPS, once FPS are corrected, there is no problems anymore. The problem was juste the database upgrade.

Regards,

Eric

Return to Post Production