Decklink Mini Monitor problems

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jörg Schreyer

Decklink Mini Monitor problems

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 am

Greetings everyone,

I recently purchased a Decklink Mini monitor card and have a few problems with it.
In both Resolve and Final Cut 7 I get mainly white pixels in the frame(regardless if paused or playback). Additionally I get choppy playback in FCP7 in the Canvas preview.

MacOs 10.10.5, Desktop Video Utility 10.6.2, Resolve 12.3.

I think it's just a matter of settings, anyone encountered taht before, can anyone guide me?

Adam Simmons

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor problems

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:17 pm

There aren't really any settings to change, try using an earlier version of the drivers as the 10.6.2 drivers don't seem to be that stable
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Peter Cave

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 11:33 pm

I find that version 10.4.1 of the driver is very stable.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Alex Vargas

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 pm

To anybody like me still looking for answers on this subject, the main reason for which the Decklink Mini Monitor did not work to the original poster with FCP 7, is that the last Desktop Video Utility version to support FCP 7 was 9.9.2

That's end of the line for OFFICIAL support of FCP 7 with Desktop Video Utility, for all Decklink products.
Understandable too... I am after all editing with an already decomposed corps. But I am still on this project... so...

I am still trying to figure out if which new Decklink products can make use of the Desktop Video Utility 9.9.2 in Mac OS 10.8.5 so I can output 10 bit from FCP 7 > Decklink Mini Monitor or Mini Monitor 4K or Intensity Pro 4K > HDMI > NEC PA272W color grading monitor (10 bit wide gamut).

In three months I am out of FCP 7 forever and into Resolve, but right now, I need to find a 10 bit output card HDMI or DisplayPort to monitor accurate color with no banding.
...and sales people simply don't have the answer.

If you know, please let me know.
Thanks!
Alex Vargas
San Francisco, CA
Filmmaker
BMPC, MacPro12core, ATTO R680, 16 bay RAID, Resolve 15, Logic Pro

Adam Simmons

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 pm

It's quite simple, look through the drivers on the support page and see when a card was added, that way you can see if it will work with that driver.

If you look in the support page the Mini Monitor was added 9.7.3, but the Mini Monitor 4K was much later in the 10.x drivers, so that won't work. As to outputting to your NEC screen It will need to support either 1080p30 or 1080i50/60 as the Mini Monitor doesn't do 1080p50/60
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Alex Vargas

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:It's quite simple, look through the drivers on the support page and see when a card was added, that way you can see if it will work with that driver.

If you look in the support page the Mini Monitor was added 9.7.3, but the Mini Monitor 4K was much later in the 10.x drivers, so that won't work. As to outputting to your NEC screen It will need to support either 1080p30 or 1080i50/60 as the Mini Monitor doesn't do 1080p50/60

Thank you kindly Adam,

Apologies for the late reply. Going crazy trying to find the right card and on a tight deadline.
The NEC PA272W accepts progressive signals only, so no interlaced signals or "pretend" progressive signals will do.

I am on a 1080p 29.97 fps ProRes (HQ) 10 bit project.

I recently tested an AJA KONA LHi card that was supposed to output that. I spent hours on my own setting it up and then moved on to their Tech Support (super nice folks) to get it to work. An hour later, we had tried everything and the NEC monitor, which works perfectly otherwise, kept giving the same error: "interlaced signals are not accepted". I got to see the color bars for about 115 seconds during that error message and then it went black the few times we tried. My monitor accepts only true progressive signals. Period.

Additionally, according to the knowledgable tech, the card, which was new, would handle the audio output exclusively on it's own and if I tried to use my audio interface separately, it would simply not work or be very unreliable. That was true. My interface was mute for as long as the card was installed. After uninstalling all AJA software it all went back to normal.

I am waiting for confirmation from BMD email tech support, which has been superb by the way, so I know the Decklink Mini Monitor won't hijack the audio output through the embedded in the HDMI and to drop the usb audio interface.

I really hope to hear from them today so I can buy the card tomorrow Friday. I am in Europe on a project right now. It's noon in CA and 9 pm in Denmark. I really need to buy that tomorrow and get back to work.

Best,
Alex :)

UPDATE: BMD Tech Support confirmed not to have any reference as to the audio relationship between the Decklink Mini Monitor Card in combination with Final Cut 7 in Mountain Lion.
I can't believe that there are no users who have tried using this card to output a color accurate signal to a grading monitor and a separate audio interface output, thereby leaving the card's own embedded audio alone.
If somebody knows if this works or not, please leave a word.
Otherwise I have to ship another card from the US to Europe for a fast test since it is not on shelves here in my current gig in Denmark.

Thanks
Alex
Alex Vargas
San Francisco, CA
Filmmaker
BMPC, MacPro12core, ATTO R680, 16 bay RAID, Resolve 15, Logic Pro

Return to Post Production