Avid .AFF workflow problem

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ian Rosloniec

Avid .AFF workflow problem

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:39 pm

I've been searching everywhere for help on this topic, but I am unable to find an answer anywhere.

Basically I have a project in Avid MC that I need to send to Resolve (Currently working on 12.5 but I hd the same problem in 12)

I have followed the instructions in the manual step by step exporting an .AAF from avid and importing it into resolve. The settings in resolve have been changed to "use timecode - embedded in source clip" and "assist using reel names - embedding in source clip file". When Importing the .AAF "automatically set project settings is checked and "automatically import source clips into media pool" is also checked.

My problem is the clips are not found. Resolve will not relink to the video files (.MXF's) it will relink the audio files, but not the video. Just a sequence with all the footage offline.

I have also tried importing all the footage into the media pool before importing the .AAF, but this also did not work.

Help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Ian

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Avid .AFF workflow problem

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Where were your mxfs created. I'm assuming Resolve is reading them correctly when you import them manually.

When you bring them in manually (which is how i always do it), is resolve assigning proper timecode and tape/source id names to the clips?

Do you have Avid on hand as well? What do you see in the tape name column in Avid? - a proper name or msmmob001. (again, this can come down to how the mxfs were made in the first place.) Youve stated that you set up your timecode settings properly, but they needed to be like that in the first place, if Resolve was used to make the mxfs. If the Mxfs were made in Avid, than something else is going on.

In such cases, i usually look at 1 random clip in the timeline in Avid, write down its details, name, timecode source id etc, and then find that same clip on the reslove timeline. What is resolve expecting to find in those same details. Then find the media in Resolve that "should" be filling that clip out..what are the deatails for that clip. How are they different, and why are they different.

Ian Rosloniec

Re: Avid .AFF workflow problem

PostMon May 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Glenn Sakatch wrote:Where were your mxfs created. I'm assuming Resolve is reading them correctly when you import them manually.

When you bring them in manually (which is how i always do it), is resolve assigning proper timecode and tape/source id names to the clips?

Do you have Avid on hand as well? What do you see in the tape name column in Avid? - a proper name or msmmob001. (again, this can come down to how the mxfs were made in the first place.) Youve stated that you set up your timecode settings properly, but they needed to be like that in the first place, if Resolve was used to make the mxfs. If the Mxfs were made in Avid, than something else is going on.

In such cases, i usually look at 1 random clip in the timeline in Avid, write down its details, name, timecode source id etc, and then find that same clip on the reslove timeline. What is resolve expecting to find in those same details. Then find the media in Resolve that "should" be filling that clip out..what are the deatails for that clip. How are they different, and why are they different.

Thank you for your reply. I dont know what was wrong, but we ended up using a different drive with a copy of the .MXF's and it finally worked. Possibly something wrong with the original .MXF files

Return to Post Production