Names of subclips

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Karel Šindelář

Names of subclips

PostMon May 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi,
(at first, sorry for my mistakes in english, not a native speaker)
I was using this media organisation technique.
1- Go trough all the shots and use IN/OUT for usable parts of original clips and import those In/Outs into media pool as "Subclips".
2- Select all Subclips and transcode them from 4k to 1080p on my harddrive (because of slow PC)
3- Edit with those transcoded Subclips.

The problem was that I realised, that I have not the same amount of the transcoded Subclips as the "in/outed" Subclips before the transcode process.
I found the problem. When I had for example original clip named 001234.mp4, which was a long clip, but I wanted just 4 good parts of it, I in/outed 4 sublicps of it into the media pool. The problem is, that all the Subclips from one original clip are called the same - "001234.MP4 Subclip". So I have 4 files with same name, which is bad for transcoding.

When I select them and when I hit "transcode", there will be only 1 of all 4 transcoded, because in PC there cannot be 4 clips with the same name (meanwhile in Davinci's media pool it is possible). So it actually transcoded every clip, but when there was more subclips from one original witch same names it transcoded only one of them, not all of them, because they are called all the same in media pool and that is problem for normal finder.

Is there any way how to easily overcome this? It would be great if the transcoding procces would just name them diferently (for example 001234.MP4, 001234_2.MP4, 001234_3.MP4 etc), so they could coexist.
Or some option that would do the same in the davinci's media pool (that it would make all names different).
Is it possible? I have is a lots of media and finding every subclip that have one or more same called friends and renaming them manually would be really long process.

I hope you do understand what I mean even with my bad english.
Thank you for any Idea.

Karel Šindelář.

Return to Post Production