Micro Converter - SDI > HDMI Problem/Question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

GenePensiero

Re: Micro Converter - SDI > HDMI Problem/Question

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 10:25 pm

well, i STILL have static on some of my micro converters.

however, i have no idea if these have updated to the 7.0.7. i've plugged them all in and ran the application, but only a small number actually called for the update. the rest give me no option.

Charles Korecki

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm running the BlackMagic Update from Windows 7, SP1. I downloaded 7.0.7 and unzipped. Plugged in my first micro and ran the utility. The micro showed up as 7.0.7 but the annoying audio "thing" was still happening. So I know I have the right utility--but how do I know it's actually transferring to the micro? Someone else mentioned they got a prompt to update? I didn't get any kind of prompt. I do have access to a Mac. Perhaps I should try from that. Can anyone else report either success or failure when applying the 7.0.7 update to the micro converters?
Charles J Korecki

GenePensiero

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Charles Korecki wrote:I'm running the BlackMagic Update from Windows 7, SP1. I downloaded 7.0.7 and unzipped. Plugged in my first micro and ran the utility. The micro showed up as 7.0.7 but the annoying audio "thing" was still happening. So I know I have the right utility--but how do I know it's actually transferring to the micro? Someone else mentioned they got a prompt to update? I didn't get any kind of prompt. I do have access to a Mac. Perhaps I should try from that. Can anyone else report either success or failure when applying the 7.0.7 update to the micro converters?

so far i have at least 2 that still have the static. again, i can't be sure if the firmware update was applied or not.

seems like there should be a simple 'Check For Update' button in the Converter software.

Addison Day

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Well bad news - the dreaded audio aliasing has reemerged on one of the converters I have been testing.

I had previously had a solid day of operation without the corruption. I switched out the unit and will continue to monitor it.

I hoped I would never hear that sound again!

GenePensiero

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 8:40 pm

bump.

I assume there's been no updates?

alexhackney

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 am

Well I bought a few of these and have ran in to the audio issue as well. I needed to record my program feed from an atem tv studio hd and there was a lot of noise on the recording. :/ would hope this would be resolved at this point after seeing all of these posts.

GenePensiero

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 5:24 pm

yeah nothing so far.

sadly, it seems the only recourse is to go to online retailers and leave poor reviews on the product.

i'm not someone who usually posts a bad review, but people are still buying these unaware that they are flawed from the factory. so i've been posting 1 star reviews with explanation on various sites.

JeffKnorr

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 pm

1. We're facing issues with losing video sync on the mini battery HDMI<->SDI converters.
2. We're also facing the issue with the updater program saying that all of our devices are on the latest firmware.
3. The third issue that I've run into is that the updater program doesn't used signed drivers and can't be run from a Windows 10 Pro laptop.

Why hasn't Black Magic responded to this thread?! I'm going to recommend that we don't purchase any more BM products until this is resolved.

Thank you,

Jeff

Justin Guinn

PostSun May 07, 2017 4:55 pm

I've just been observing everyone's input and attempt to help resolve this issue. I mirror all of the others posts that have had zero luck updating the Micro Converters to the latest revision and seeing any change to the problem at had.

As I've stated many times, this problem should have never made it out of the factory. Though it did, BM should have remedied it immediately. It took them nearly a year to even role out an update that they claimed would fix the problem, and didn't. They haven't done anything. Only an offer to return the junk product and allow us to pay more for the more expensive item. Poor CS and business model in my opinion.

I'm done with BM. As our equipment fails, our establishment will be moving to another "brand".

Please keep this thread moving. Hopefully BM will interject one day and "save the day"!

Brent Dickson

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Has this issue been resolved? Im using an older sdi>hdmi micro converter and have the exact same problem. I need to order more but if we are still waiting on firmware I will have to use a different brand.

GenePensiero

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:46 pm

So far, no update.

Brent Dickson

PostMon Jul 10, 2017 5:50 pm

That's too bad. These are great for video. Ive been using one for about 6 months to convert SDI to HDMI for a cheap 7" monitor, no audio. I ran a 150' SDI cable and used it to test the cable. It worked for a while then started the audio distortion. Took me a while to narrow it down to the converter and then I see everyone here is having the same problem.

This thread is over a year old! Still no fix?!

PaulMartel

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I don't have this problem myself, but some of my customers reported a very similar problem (periodic static / robotic audio) that ended up being caused by the ATEM.
This is the discussion post: http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision- ... glitch-nee
It was resolved by updating the ATEM to 7.1
Just thought I would share in case it helps you all.

Justin Guinn

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:18 pm

PaulMartel wrote:I don't have this problem myself, but some of my customers reported a very similar problem (periodic static / robotic audio) that ended up being caused by the ATEM.
This is the discussion post: http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision- ... glitch-nee
It was resolved by updating the ATEM to 7.1
Just thought I would share in case it helps you all.

Thank you for sharing Paul,

I think just about all of us (or at least myself) have probably updated our ATEM's to help alleviate this problem. However, when I first discovered this issue on my end, BM attempted to warranty my ATEM, assuming that to be the problem and while the replacement was in-transit to me, they called me and said do not unbox the new ATEM, as they discovered the problem to actually be in the Micro-Converter itself. As this problem has been going on for over a year now, I'm guessing BM has this resolved in house with their new production, but hasn't been able to get a fix to the already purchased micro's.

Justin Guinn

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Disregard my last, I was mistaken, my ATEM didn't get the 7.1 update like I requested one of my team members to do! I'll update to 7.1.2 after our church service is over and test the converters...

Brent Dickson

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Well, I bought another brand new SDI>HDMI Micro converter in hopes that the problem had been resolved. It has the exact same issue with the audio as the other converter which I bought over a year ago.

That being said, I have done some further testing and my problem is now resolved. I used the converter with the SDI feed from a Sony PXW-Z150 and noticed no problems with the audio from the camera. I then updated my ATEM Studio 4k to version 7.2 (from 6.9) and reconnected the converter. The converter has been working fine now for about 2 hours straight which has never happened before.

So right now I am running a ATEM Studio 4K version 7.2 receiving audio via embedded HDMI. The new Micro converter is connected to the ATEM's AUX output via 180' SDI cable. The system is running at 1080p60.

I hope you guys have as much luck with 7.2 as I have.

Charles Korecki

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm

It's been a while since I've posted. This thread has been dormant for a while, too. I see one person had luck once they updated to ATEM version 7.2. Has anyone else had any success with these microconverters? I am not running an ATEM. I am running directly out of a VGA to SDI converter. I get the weird audio aliasing no matter what my SDI source is. The problem has to be with the microconverter. I have 12 of these units and would like to get my money's worth from them.
Charles J Korecki

Brandon Herrmann

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 am

Bump. Sorry for resurrecting and old thread, but I’m in the market for some sdi to hdmi converters for a CCTV feed and I cannot afford audio problems. Has this problem been resolved? The firmware change logs are not helpful.
Brandon

Luke B

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 1:14 am

I am having the same issue with audio static. I'm 95% sure it has something to do with the BM converters I'm using.

I'm using a Micro Converter HDMI to SDI, then a converter from SDI back to HDMI.

I've checked the HDMI signal by itself and it is clean, tried multiple SDI lines and even multiple converters running old and current (7.3.2) firmware and the static is still there.

I'm getting static for 6 seconds, then it stops for 2 seconds before having static again.

If anybody has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been working on it for over 8 hours.

ropo82

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 pm

I am having the same issue... Just purchased 3 of the micro converters SDI-HDMI and getting that nasty static noise. Followed this forum, but seem to not have an answer. I downloaded the latest software 7.3.4 but when plugging in the 2016 converters nothing happens. It says that it has the 7.3.4, but I highly doubt that since there was no indication that an update was needed. Any direction on how to update the firmware? or if there ever was an update? Thanks!

ibbmedia

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 3:51 pm

We are having similar issues. I guess the best route is to go with a different converter? Any recommendations?

GenePensiero

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 3:52 pm

The problem doesn't happen with the mini converters. Just the micro converters. Obviously the cost is significantly higher, but the mini converters have been really great for us on those terminations where we need audio.

Puddinhead

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am

Yesterday, I used a short BNC cable from SDI-HTML Mini Convertor to my old Zacuta battery operated EVF, and the wireless audio was corrupted, was unusable. So I did ok with Ursa Broadcast internal mics for natural sound. The SDI Mini worked great for two years, the only change was the short BNC cable, before I used double barrel BNC adapter so SDI Mni got signal directly from SDI camera spigot.

Patrick

PS: I didn't know the SDI Mini could update it's firmware.

Patrick
Previous

Return to Post Production