10bit color from Nvidia Quadro M3000M

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MarcusWolschon

10bit color from Nvidia Quadro M3000M

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 am

Can anyone confirm thats a grading monitor can be connected to a mobile M3000M or M2000M graphics card via HDMI in 10bit with any video frame rate (25p,24p,...) and works in Resolve?

Any Lenovo P70 or P50 users here?
. I just want to confirm that it works before buying a now laptop that will also work as a color grading workstation in hotel rooms or cars.

JPOwens

Re: 10bit color from Nvidia Quadro M3000M

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 2:20 pm

MarcusWolschon wrote:a now laptop that will also work as a color grading workstation
(sic)

Have you consulted the Blackmagic configurations guide?

There seems to be a fairly widespread notion that the Resolve User Interface preview is a practical grading reference. It is not.

The only minimally acceptable color management that is applied might be an Operating System internal LUT or - imagining in this case - that "a" grading monitor is going to be hung off one of the UI card outputs, that it can be somehow massaged into a *close-enough* mode with an output LUT or its own internal RGB balance.

*Close enough* being relative to the grading environment, because, grading suites... can be cars... or hotel rooms... why would 10-bit be important?

Is the next question... "how do I get a full-screen image on the second monitor?"

jPo

Adam Simmons

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 3:53 pm

When I asked my contact at BM Tech in Australia they told me that in Windows you currently only have an 8bit GUI and preview
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

JPOwens

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Adam Simmons wrote: in Windows you currently only have an 8bit GUI and preview

that really only will affect how much banding you will see in the viewer -- it has no effect on the grade, which is always calculated in 32-bit float. How hard you push the grade will be affected by what you see, of course, and that is one of the many reasons the UI is not the best choice as a judgement reference.

jPo

Return to Post Production