UltraScope on Sierra

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dylan Neild

UltraScope on Sierra

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Is anyone else getting an immediate crash when running UltraScope 1.8.3 (latest) on macOS Sierra?

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000003c
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

SarahChana

Re: UltraScope on Sierra

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Same problem. Was trying to use it today. Exactly the same error!

I hope it gets fixed quickly

Adam Simmons

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 6:46 am

Have you reported this to BM tech support? If not then they probably don't know there's an issue yet.

The more people who report it to tech support the more likely it will get pushed up the list of things to get fixed
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Dylan Neild

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Resolve Live doesn't work under Sierra either - probably the same issue I'd guess (drivers).

I reported it. BMD's official response (paraphrased): "We don't support Sierra and we have no timeframe for doing so but I assume we probably will eventually."

So that's.... reassuring.

I also noticed that I'm getting a lot of random "GPU Memory Full" errors on a Sierra machine running Resolve. Never happened on this machine running El Capitan.

Seems that while Resolve works on 10.12 there are definitely some underlying issues.

Rene Gilvert

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Same issue here on both MacBook and iMac....
Rene Gilvert

Scott Smith

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 3:53 am

I am getting close to ready to upgrade to El Capitan. Sierra is at least a year off for me. No way I'd jump into that can of worms with needed production machines. Unless you just love testing stuff out, experimenting with the new OS, and seeing what works, it is crazy to jump on board this early.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Nick Toale

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 7:53 am

Doing some testing with Sierra and its much better than El Crapitan in the audio environment . My feeling its aimed more at the home / MS Office user but they have fixed a lot of the audio issues seen in El Crapitan. Sierra MacOS seems to have locked a lot of stuff down under the hood and if you upgrade you may not have a way back to a running system. If you are using mac commercially and your stuff works avoid upgrading, just spent 4 days getting the MD's mac in El Crapitan working but can't take that to sierra as 2 of his DJ programs won't run on it yet. I would hold off upgrading to Sierra until they get the new disk OS out and see what can of worms that opens and at least one service pack out. There is some issues with Adobe in Sierra and the wife is ready to chuck her new imac through the window as keep hearing the mouse rattle of frustration and lots of muttering. If i get some time i'll have a proper play with some of the BMD gear but as macs are used as office machines for some staff as long as that works i'm happy.

Herve de Ploeg

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 11:58 pm

problème ultrascope crash (the program don't start) with Sierra on Mac ...
i m the only one ??

John Thorborg

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 am

Same thing here, UltraScope is crashing directly after startup. :evil:
Why is it always such a problem every time?
Isn't this the reason why Apple brings out beta's a half year before releasing it to the public so companies like BM get the time to prepare and adjust to it.
It is not always a free choice to hold on to an older OS, sometimes people get a new computer for instance.
This is now the second time this has happened to me, now and a few years ago.
Do we have to wait for a half year again before we can use our BM equipment?
Please help!!

Dean Slawson

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 6:55 am

Same problem, so just adding another request here that it get prioritized for repair as soon as possible. thanks.
ASUS x299 Mark I, Intel Core i9-7900x, 64GB, 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 960 PRO 1TB M.2, WD HDD 12TB RAID 0, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k

SarahChana

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 am

Well I'm glad I have bought a brand new MacBook Pro today that comes with Sierra :o

Thanks a lot Blackmagic Design.

How can it possibly take so long to fix a bug after an new macOS comes out?

Not happy at all!

Kris Van Hullebusch

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Hello,
it seems that this is still not working? Or do you have any improvements with UltraScope running on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.4) on a MacBook Pro (2016)?

Greetings,
Kris

Rene Gilvert

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Still no update, very sad to say this lackluster customer support given when this issue started and BM has been made aware of the issue officially through an conversation with their own support staff (who confirmed replicable results and as such incompatibility with Sierra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rene Gilvert

nick theriot

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Is there still no solution. I'm switching over to a new MacBook and bought it specifically for this program to monitor when using my BMPC 4K. This is ridiculous. I'm glad I didn't pay more money for pocket ultrascope when it's essentially been useless for 6 months. Where is the fix BMD guys? Has anyone found a workaround?
Resolve 17
MacPro 7,1
Big Sur
16-Core Intel Xeon W
3.2 GH
96 GB DDR4
Double AMD Radeon Pro W5700X
Editor's Keyboard
Mini Panel
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Decklink Mini Recorder 4K

Colin Barrett

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

nick theriot wrote:Is there still no solution. I'm switching over to a new MacBook and bought it specifically for this program to monitor when using my BMPC 4K. This is ridiculous. I'm glad I didn't pay more money for pocket ultrascope when it's essentially been useless for 6 months. Where is the fix BMD guys? Has anyone found a workaround?

Regrettably, there are still problems. I'm really disappointed with the way Blackmagic has failed to address this issue at a time when it manages to fanfare a load of "exciting" new products. How many of them will work straight from the box? I wonder................

The Ultrascope has the potential to be a really great means of checking all manner of parameters, both on a shooting location and in post-production. However, a number of really annoying problems have led me to believe that I really shouldn't waste my money until I know for sure something is reliable. As an example, I recent upgrade to the Teranex software led me to believe that I could open the Ultrascope software as well as Media Express when digitising footage through the Teranex 2D (I want to have the full set of scopes on an extension monitor during capture in real-time) but it just will not open at all and keeps crashing out when I try and do so. It's really, really annoying!

I'm on the verge of ditching the idea and going for a 3rd party solution which will take a SDI output from the Teranex and display scopes via HDMI on an external monitor. DataVideo make a portable scope that will do this, although I won't be able to see all the scopes at the same time.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Colin Barrett wrote:I'm on the verge of ditching the idea and going for a 3rd party solution which will take a SDI output from the Teranex and display scopes via HDMI on an external monitor. DataVideo make a portable scope that will do this, although I won't be able to see all the scopes at the same time.

Divergent Media's Scopebox will also do this.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Colin Barrett

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Divergent Media's Scopebox will also do this.

Yes, I've been experimenting with the 14-day trial, Marc. I might well commit to it at the end of the trial.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Jayson Packett

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 am

I have just tried the latest version of Ultrascope on macOS Sierra 10.12.3, I can confirm it still crashes on startup. :cry:

John Thorborg

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:10 am

Hi,
The UltraScope line-up is gone.
Like with other BM products in the past (Hyperdeck Shuttle (2), Cinema Camera (4k) ), first drop the support then stop selling them.
Some companies do this the other way around, first stop sales but keep supporting the product for a certain periode of time and then finally announce the product its end of life.
This way you get less frustrated customers.

Cheers,
John

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Should be working as of today!
UltraScope 1.8.4 Update

Colin Barrett

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 am

I lost patience with Ultrascope quite a while back. I use Scopebox now - much better.

John Thorborg

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeeesssss!!!!!!!!
It works again after many many months of no use and frustration!
I hope when 'High Sierra' appears (it is already knocking at our doors) it will keep working....
But for now, THANKS!

@Colin,
I've tried Scopebox as well and yes that is also a nice software package and certainly a alternative.

Cheers,
John

Return to Post Production